May 072013

Hey guys! Phewww this has been a busy week already. Well, except that I took yesterday off from work due to a severe lack of sleep from the weekend (thank God for sick days; sometimes you just really need them). However today has been b-u-s-y! Let’s jump into a recap from my weekend, shall we?


Right after work on Friday, Fabio and I packed up the car and headed up to New York for the weekend. As you may recall, we signed up to do a 40 mile bike ride around all 5 boroughs of New York City! Originally my dad was supposed to do the ride with us, but his knees have been really been bothering him so he decided to stay home (my dad has had both his knees replaced and has had about 30 knee surgeries in his life- yikes!). Of course I was really disappointed that he couldn’t come, but I didn’t want him to be in pain or damage his knees either. Safety first!

Anyway, Fabio, Jack, and I made our way up to New York and arrived around midnight. Then we called it a night and instantly went to sleep. ZzZzZz…


As soon as we woke up on Saturday morning, Fabio and I headed out for a quick three mile run with Jack. For our half marathon training we were supposed to run 12 miles, but with the 40 mile bike ride ahead of us we didn’t think that was the best idea. The last thing we wanted was to overwork our muscles and injure ourselves for either of the races!

I was a bit nervous at first about skipping my last long run before the half (on May 18), but I researched a bit online and found out that some training plans only take you up to 10 or 11 miles anyway, so hopefully I’ll still be fine! Either way, I’m glad we were able to get a few miles in on Saturday at least!

After our run, we came back to some fresh juice!

Fabio’s dad has a juicer and he has gotten really good at making sweet and nutritious juice. This particular blend included carrots, beets, and apples. It was perfectly sweet and I really enjoyed it. Yum!

After our juice, we showered up and headed into the city (Fabio’s dad was gracious enough to drive us in from Queens 🙂 what a gem).

When I realized my dad wasn’t going to be able to join us for the bike ride, I asked him if I should sell his ticket on Craig’s List. He agreed that that was a great solution, and on our drive up to New York on Friday, I went to work getting the Carig’s List posting up. I got a response almost instantly from a guy named Ted who said he could meet us in the Upper West Side on Saturday morning to pick up the packet.

Lucky for me, my aunt CC, who I really wanted to see while we were up there, lives on the Upper West Side as well! I texted her to see if she wanted to meet up, and she said she was free to come with my uncle Steve to meet us for brunch! The timing worked out perfectly  and we were able to sell the packet to Ted and still have brunch with my family 🙂 Two birds with one stone! I was a happy camper! (Plus I got $75 for my dad’s ticket, which he said I could keep 🙂 Awesomeee!!)

CC and Steve sneakily suggested grabbing brunch at Fred’s, a cute outdoor restaurant on 83rd and Amsterdam. I say sneakily because they pretended like they were just looking for any random restaurant in the area, when really they chose it because the whole interior of the restaurant is decorated with photos of dogs (and mostly labs) which they knew I would love.

So adorable, right?

Even though the inside was awesome (I seriously could have looked at those photos all day!) it was a beautiful day out so we sat outside in the sunshine.

Me and CC! (P.S. I don’t know why I call her CC – her name is actually Colleen- but I think it started when I was a baby!)

Fabio and Steve!

CC and I started off with some mimosas while the boys sipped on beers. It was absolutely gorgeous outside and we had a great time catching up.

For my meal I decided to order the grilled vegetable sandwich with fresh mozzarella and pesto mayo.

It was delicious and so flavorful! I gobbled down the first half and then ate the veggies out of the second half because I was starting to get full. It was so good, I’m still dreaming about this sandwich now. Sigh.

After lunch we said a tipsy goodbye to CC and Steve (we had quite a few mimosas by this point) and then made our way to the subway to head to the Bronx.

Why the Bronx?? Because Fabio and I had tickets to the Yankee game!!

Yay!! While I don’t enjoy watching baseball on TV (I will almost always read a book, surf blogs, or fall asleep) I love going to the games. The atmosphere is so much fun and it’s a blast to watch!

I knew my friend Kristen was planning to attend the game as well, so I was really hoping I would get to see her at least for a few minutes before or after the game. Imagine my surprise when we got our tickets and she was literally sitting in the row behind us. Seriously! Out of the thousands of seats in the stadium, she and her family were right behind us. It was the weirdest coincidence ever, but of course I wasn’t complaining! I got to spend the whole game catching up with her while Fabio and her brother, Raymond, chatted about Yankee stats. It was definitely a fantastic way to spend a baseball game!

After the game, Kristen said her parents were going to drive her to her apartment in downtown Manhattan where she was planning to meet up with the rest of our Sloppytown friends. She asked if Fabio and I wanted to come along and of course we said yes!! I couldn’t turn down an opportunity to see all of my friends, and we didn’t have any solid plans for the rest of the afternoon anyway. I have to say, I was grinning from ear to ear by this point because I was so happy with the way the day played out. So far I was getting to have a great time with all my favorite people and I couldn’t have been happier!!

We had a fun car ride with Kristen’s family and then we arrived at the bar. I was so happy to see everyone!!

Fabio had a lot of fun too and spent most of the day talking baseball with Raymond. Raymond is moving to the DC area soon so I bet they’re going to become really close friends!

Fabio took a couple of Vine videos from the day, which were pretty entertaining. Here’s my favorite one…

Love those Vine videos haha! Also, did you see that horse in there? Yeah, someone brought their horse to the bar since the Kentucky Derby was on. It was the weirdest thing ever…it was just tied up outside. There were plenty of drunk people taking pictures with it, which seemed very strange to me. I’m not sure I would ever bring a horse to a bar, but at least the person who brought it probably got to ride it home and didn’t have to pay for a cab! Haha!

Needless to say, we had a fantastic afternoon with some of my best friends 🙂

We headed home from the bar at around 9:00 pm and got an early night’s sleep before the big bike ride the next day. Great choice!


Fabio’s dad woke us up at 6:00 am on Sunday to get ready for the bike ride! We ate some eggs and toast before packing up and leaving for downtown.

I’m not going to go into too many details about the bike ride, because I really want to dedicate a whole post to it later this week. I just have so many details and pictures to share that it really shouldn’t be crammed into a weekend recap. I will tell you that the ride went really, really well and we all did the 40 miles without a hitch.

Huurah!! I felt so proud of myself at the end! Forty miles is no joke!

We got back to Queens from the bike ride at around 7:00 pm and headed to Fabio’s favorite restaurant, Gyro World, to celebrate. We started off with some beers…

And then I ordered a delicious gyro. Yummmm.

After dinner we were too tired from the bike ride to drive home, so we decided to sleep for a while and then head home in the early morning. Unfortunately, in order to avoid traffic the “early morning” meant 1:00 am. So, we napped from about 10:00 pm – 1:00 am, when we then packed up the car and drove back home. We arrived back in Arlington at 6:00 am, right as the sun was rising and our neighbors were heading to work. Ugh.

I initially was going to go into work a little later than usual, but when the alarm went off it just wasn’t happening. I told my manager what was going on and she encouraged me to take a sick day if I needed to. Yes ma’am, that’s exactly what I’ll do 😉

Fabio took a sick day as well and we spent the day doing some much-needed laundry, grocery shopping, and cleaning. Oh, and sleeping. There was a lot of that.

Phew! What a weekend, right? I can’t wait to tell you all about the bike ride- I promise to give you tons of details!

Question of the day: Have you ever had a crazy coincidence happen to you?

 Posted by on May 7, 2013

  3 Responses to “When you bring a horse to a bar…”

  1. Your sandwich looks amazing, and that bike tour sounds so awesome. Gosh, I just LOVE NYC :).

  2. 40 mile bike ride. Jeeze. That is amazing! Well done! What an achievement. I don’t think I could cycle three miles haha.
    That cafe with the dog pictures is so cool! What a great idea, I love it. And the sandwich looks pretty good, though I’m not sure I could have stopped myself eating it all haha.
    Those Vine videos are quite cool. I’m tempted to try and make one…

  3. Looks like an amazing weekend!!! I can’t wait to read more about the bike ride! And that’s just so crazy that your friend was behind you at the stadium! What are the odds??? The strangest thing that ever happened to me was when I ran into a high school friend at an amusement park… in Austria. She was there on summer vacation with her family, and I was with an orchestra tour, and we happened to be at the same park, at the same time, in line together for a roller coaster. CRAZY!

Leave a Reply