I don’t know about you guys, but I am officially in the holiday mindset. Although I have a lot I need to get done at the office today before I can officially start my vacation, I feel like it’s going to be very difficult to concentrate. Who’s with me??
Since I’m already feeling a bit scatter-brained and all over the place, I thought I would keep with that theme in today’s post and just chat with you about a few random topics on my mind today. Sound good? Cool. Let’s get started.
1. Since Fabio and I are going to be spending time with family over the next couple of days and then jet-setting off to Jamaica on Friday morning, we have been trying to use up all of our groceries so nothing goes to waste. Since we are now down to the wire, we have next to nothing left in our kitchen. All of our usual staples – bananas, milk, eggs, chicken, veggies – are gone. Last night I used up the last of the chicken, and I finished off the milk two days ago, so I honestly have no idea what I’m going to eat today and tomorrow morning.
Yesterday I tried something new and picked up a breakfast sandwich from the deli near my office. I opted for a turkey sausage, egg and cheese sandwich on an English muffin, and it totally hit the spot.
Of course I would have preferred “real” eggs (those fluffy ones they use in sandwiches like these creep me out) and I have no idea what kind of ingredients were in the turkey sausage, but overall I was happy with my choice. It could have been worse for me (hello croissant breakfast sandwich with real sausage, nice to
eat meet you) but also was decadent enough to make me feel like I was treating myself to something special. Overall I’d say it was a win! I will keep this option in mind for future breakfast emergencies.
2. I mentioned on Friday that I was going shopping with my mom and stepsister for new dresses for Jamaica, and I want to show you guys the dress I got! I found this little number at the Lily Pulitzer store, and as soon as I spotted it on the hanger I knew it was a winner.
BTW, it’s not nearly that short on me. #I’mNotAModel
Anyway. Isn’t that just so cute? I think it will work perfectly when we go out to dinner in Jamaica (my family tends to be very dressy during these types of trips) but I also know I will get a lot of wear out of it at wedding events and festivities this spring and summer. I have a pair of gold wedges that I think will look great with the beading up top. Can’t wait to wear it!
3. Speaking of gold things, I am getting a mani/pedi later today and am thinking of going for some type of metallic or glittery gold color. Maybe something like this?
I want to get a color that’s festive for the holidays but still good for the Caribbean (i.e., probably not my go-to holiday red sparkles) so I thought gold might be fun. I’m also going to get a gel manicure this time since I want it to last until New Years. We will see what color I wind up choosing!
4. I had a dilemma at work recently because I didn’t know if I should get my manager a Christmas gift or not. My office is really small (just about 11 of us) so we are doing a white elephant gift exchange among the staff. I still felt like I should get something small for my manager, but I didn’t know if that was weird since there’s a chance she might have me for the white elephant exchange. In the end I decided to get her a $15 gift certificate to Groupon, which one of my friends suggested might be a good alternative to something like a Starbuck’s gift card. I still can’t decide if this was a good idea (I don’t know if she got anything for me) but I figured it was better to play it safe with a gift than to feel bad about not getting one. Has anyone else dealt with something similar lately? What’s the protocol here?? To gift, or not to gift, that is the question.
5. For all my Serial lovers out there, you must watch the Serial holiday SNL skit if you haven’t seen it yet:
How amazing are those impressions?!
Also, after listening to the final episode (what did you guys think?!) I discovered another podcast called Serial Spoiler Specials where the hosts talk about their love for Serial and their thoughts on the most recent episode. If you find yourself in a I’m-missing-Serial-so-much-and-don’t-know-what-to-do-now funk, listen to their latest episode! It will help with the withdrawal, I promise. At least until that’s over, and then you’ll have to find a new podcast to enjoy (I suggest Joy The Baker and This American Life!).
No idea what I’m talking about? Check out my Podcast 101 post, with an explanation of Serial and the other aforementioned podcasts, here.
6. My dad told me some sad news last night – apparently my little sister confronted him about whether Santa was real and he had to tell her that he’s not. Womp womp. I was hoping that maybe she would still believe this year, but I knew that was somewhat unlikely (she’s nine). Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Hopefully she will still be just as excited on Christmas Day, and will wake us all up at 6:00 am like she usually does. Can’t wait!
Scenes from last year’s Christmas morning
Alright friends, that’s really all I have for you this morning. I can’t promise that I will have a regular posting schedule from this point on through New Year’s, since I will be doing my best to unplug and enjoy time with family over the holidays and on vacation. I do have a couple of year-end posts scheduled for you that will go up, and will try to pop in now and then, but don’t expect too much!
Happy holidays to you and your family!
Question of the day: What are you most looking forward to about the upcoming holidays?