This has been a phenomenal year for me, and I feel so lucky about each and every aspect of my life. I have a great guy who loves me, friends who mean the world to me, a family who will always be there for me, and a job that I enjoy that puts a roof over my head. What more could a girl ask for? A pup who licks her face and wags his tail incessantly when I walk in the door? Oh yeah, I’ve got that too. 😉
Since 2014 is almost over, I thought this would be a good time to look back on some of the highlights from the year. This is actually my favorite post to write all year, and you can view last year’s version, Top 13 in 2013, here.
And now, let’s take a look at some of my favorite memories from 2014!
14. Workouts with Urban Athletic Club. When I looked back at some of my favorite fitness-related pictures from the year, I realized that a lot of them came from adventures with Urban Athletic Club! From the cherry blossom OutRun that I did with some of my best friends, to the Row, Bike, Run adventure that brought me closer to Anne, one of my new favorite fitness buddies, I realized that I owed a lot of my happiest 2014 fitness memories to Urban Athletic Club. They just do a great job of providing really fun workouts, and I think that’s so important.
13. Army 10 Miler. Running the Army 10 Miler was something I decided to do at the very last second, and I was pretty nervous about how I’d do. However, when it actually came down to it, this wound up being one of my most favorite DC races. I loved the camaraderie of my fellow runners, especially those who have lost someone in the army. It’s just a great race to run, and it’s one of my happiest memories of 2014.
12. Cherry Blossom 10 Miler. Unlike the Army 10 Miler, running the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler was actually something I planned to do, and trained hard for. In addition to it being a really beautiful route around DC, it was also just a really good run for me. I remember feeling strong throughout the race, and was really happy with my pace the whole time. I remember when the race was over I finally considered myself a “runner,” which is just ridiculous since I’d been a runner long before this race. Either way, that just shows you how I was feeling at the time. Such a great race for me!
11. Double Date Dinners. This is cheating a bit since it’s not one memory that makes me happy but a few, but in 2014 I had so many fun double date dinners with my friends Megan and Jess and their significant others. Both of them also got engaged this year, so it’s really fun to look back on our first dinner together in the Spring when no one was engaged, to now when they both are in the midst of wedding planning. It’s just such a fun time for them, and I truly cherish all the occasions we got to celebrate with one another in 2014.
10. Weekends in Otis, MA. This is one also cheating a bit since it’s two weekends that made me particularly happy, not one memory per se, but we had such a blast this year visiting my aunt CC and uncle Steve in their new house in the Berkshire mountains!! We went up both in the Summer and in the Winter, and I honestly can’t tell you which time was more fun. It’s just such a blast every time we go, and I can’t wait to go back soon.
9. Catrina’s Going Away Shindig. It was a pretty sad day when I learned that one of my best friends Catrina would be moving to San Diego, but luckily we’ve still been able to keep in touch as much as ever, and things haven’t changed a bit. Before she left, she had a fun going away party in New York, which was semi-combined with my birthday celebration. It was such a fun weekend, and I will always remember what a good time we had.
8. Fire Island with my gurlays! Each year my best friends from college and I spend a weekend in Fire Island, NY, sunning ourselves on the beach and just enjoying each other’s company. It’s always, always one of my favorite weekends of the year, and this year was no exception. So. Much. Fun.
7. Courtney and Kevin’s Wedding! Wow – I sure wish we could relive the day my good friends Courtney and Kevin got married. There is no other way to describe the day except for AMAZING. It was so beautiful, so fun, so loving – just everything you could ask for in a wedding. Court definitely set the bar high among my group of friends! (No pressure, Megan! Haha!)
6. My birthday surprises! This year for my birthday, Fabio really outdid himself and planned two awesome surprises for us. First, we spent a beautiful day wine tasting, and we even got to bring Jack!! For part two of my birthday, he took me to a Biggest Loser 5K! Both of these surprises were just so incredibly thoughtful, and so me. Who else would be SO EXCITED when told they had to wake up at 5:00 am for a fitness adventure on their birthday? Yep, he just gets me.
5. Holiday Half Marathon & Santacon in NYC! Successfully completing a half marathon in NY and having an amazing group of friends to cheer you on makes any weekend pretty amazing. Add a holiday-themed bar crawl to the plans, and I literally cannot think of anything better. This is exactly how my Holiday Half Marathon & Santacon weekend in NYC was. Definitely one of my favorite weekends. Ever.
5. Cochabamba, Bolivia! Oh yeah, remember that time I went to Bolivia in 2014? Yep. That happened. It was such an amazing adventure, and I saw so many beautiful places. Cochabamba was one of my favorite places we visited, partially because of the annoyingly-perfect-every-single-day-weather, but also because that’s where Fabio’s mom’s family lives, and I got to meet so many of his welcoming relatives.
4. Salar de Uyni – Bolivian Salt Flats! Another amazing adventure from 2014 has got to include the Bolivian Salt Flats. Seeing this phenomenon was seriously one of the most amazing things ever, and I can’t even really believe places like this exist on our planet. Like what? How is this a place??
2. Bryce Canyon! Another fun place I visited this year was Bryce Canyon in Utah. We went with my family for our summer vacation out West (read more here), and hiking in between the beautiful rock formations was just breath-taking. It’s hard to top these views!
1. Yellowstone! Last, but certainly not least, my favorite memory from 2014 has got to be exploring Yellowstone National Park with my family. From seeing wild wolves and buffalo in the morning, to swimming in a natural hot spring around lunchtime, to hiking mountains for some amazing views of colorful hot springs in the afternoon, I know this was an experience of a lifetime.
Wow, what a year I had. I sort of can’t believe all of those amazing things happened in 2014. I truly feel like the luckiest person alive to have been able to experience all that.
Let’s hope 2015 is just as good!
Question of the day: What’s your favorite memory from 2014?