Can you believe it’s already the last day of 2013?? I honestly don’t know where the time went. It was such a fabulous year for me- both personally and professionally- and I thought today I would take a moment to reflect on my top 13 moments of 2013!
Here is my countdown!
13. The year I had a lot of fun around the holidays and was able to spend some quality time with family and friends. I think the highlights for me here were seeing all my out-of-town relatives on Christmas Eve, opening presents with my little sister on Christmas morning, and having a lot of my best friends and family members attend my mom’s annual Christmas party. All in all, it was a fabulous week of holiday fun!
12. This year for our fifth dating anniversary, Fabio and I took a day off from work to explore New York City. This included a walk past the holiday window displays at Macy’s, an elevator ride up to the Empire State Building, and dinner and drinks with my awesome aunt and uncle in the Upper West Side. The whole day was absolutely perfect and made me so appreciative of the great relationship I have with Fabio. 🙂
11. In November of this year I was given the chance to fly to Dallas, TX, to represent one of my clients at the annual AHA Scientific Sessions meeting. It was a HUGELY rewarding experience for me professionally, and whenever there was any free time I would attend sessions on healthy eating and exercise. While there I met Sam Kass from Let’s Move! who reaffirmed my passion for promoting a healthy lifestyle, especially in children. While I have to admit this wasn’t one of the most fun experiences of 2013, it was such an amazing opportunity and I am SO grateful that I was chosen to attend.
10. This year I also had the opportunity to run a 5K with the National Press Club and join Tony Horton, the creator of P90X, for a tweet up and workout. I received a free copy of P90X (which I now complete nearly every morning before work!), and made some great connections with fellow DC health and fitness bloggers. What a cool experience!
9. This summer I also traveled to Fire Island, New York with some of my best girlfriends from college to spend a few days at the beach. It was SO much fun and we spent our days sunning ourselves on the beach, shopping, drinking, and just being best friends. I am really hoping I can go again next year because it was blast!!
8. Another really fun day from 2013 was back in May when I had brunch with my formerly-mentioned awesome aunt and uncle, went to a Yankee Game where I just happened to be sitting one row below one of my best friends, and then went to a bar for some day drinking with my college girlfriends. This one of those days where the mix of seeing friends and family made me the happiest person. It was also a gorgeous day and most of it was spent outside, so that didn’t hurt either. There were a lot of free-flowing drinks and everyone was happily enjoying their time together. Every time I think back to this day I can’t help but smile.
6. Coming in at number six is the second half marathon I ran this year, the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half Marathon. Although I faced some speedbumps while training for this race (e.g., having the race postponed because of the government shutdown and falling out of love with running a bit) the race itself was AWESOME and Fabio and I met our goal of running it in under two hours. I also had more of my family there to cheer me on during this race, which was so amazing.
5. Number five has to be my very first half marathon that I ran in St. Michael’s, MD, in May. When I signed up for this race I had never run more than four-ish miles in my life, and suddenly I had committed myself to running 13.1. While it was definitely daunting, Fabio and I did a great job training for it and managed to run the entire thing without stopping. This was such a thrill for me and I remember feeling so proud of myself after.
4. Number four has to be the amazing vacation to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic that I took with six of my very best girlfriends from college. I don’t think this one needs much explaining- just look at the pictures!! It was SO MUCH FUN and I will never forget this trip.
3. Numbers two and three both came from the vacation to Italy that my mom and stepdad took us on in July. Number three is the “Path of the Gods” hike that Fabio and I went on in Amalfi, Italy, but a very close runner up to this was the day we visited Pompeii and then kayaked in Amalfi. Ah! So hard to choose! Just pretend I picked both, haha! Anyway, the hike was challenging, scary, and breath-takingly beautiful. Such a wonderful experience.
2. Number two comes from our last day in Amalfi, Italy, when we took a super fun boat ride. It was kind of an impromptu last-minute decision, but it wound up being one of my favorite moments of the whole year!! It was a gorgeous day in the most beautiful place I have ever seen, so to get to spend our last few hours there traveling around by boat and swimming in the sea was just perfect. It was so beautiful and I only hope I can return some day.
Are you ready for number one??
1. My number one top memory from 2013 has to be when 35 of my very best friends came from all over to help me celebrate my birthday. Fabio organized a bus to take us all to a fun concert and I couldn’t believe how many people came out to help me celebrate my special day. I am so blessed to have such great people in my life 🙂
Wow, how’s that for an amazing year, huh?? Let’s hope 2014 is just as good!
Question of the day: What’s your favorite memory from 2013?