Jan 152015

Hi folks! It’s been a really long time since I’ve written a Day in the Life post, and now that I’m working from home post-foot surgery things have changed quite a bit with my routine. I’m sure my schedule won’t always look like this while I’m working from home, but until I get the go-ahead from my doctor to start walking again, thus meaning I can go back to work, this is probably what most of my days will look like.

Ready? Here’s what my day looked like yesterday.

5:30 am – My body wakes up, thinking it’s time to get up and work out. Nope, not anymore. Go back to sleep.

7:30 am – Can I really be allowed to sleep this late? This seems silly. I know I have half an hour still to lounge in bed, but I have a hard time falling back asleep. I pick up my phone and read some emails/peruse Instagram for a while, before eventually picking up my crutches from the floor and hobbling to the bathroom. From there I do my business, floss, and brush my teeth.

8:00 am –  I decide to eat my breakfast right away because my foot is hurting and I want to take my pain meds (I’ve learned that taking them on an empty stomach is a no-go). I’m almost weaned off my Vicodin, and now take just a half pill in the morning and before bed. I also am supposed to take three ibuprofen with breakfast, lunch, and dinner whether I think I need them or not, so down the hatch they go. I wash it all down with some water from my Camelbak water bottle that I have been lugging around everywhere, and a couple bites of chocolate chip banana bread that Megan brought over on Sunday. What a good friend. 🙂


Yum yum yum.

I do all of this while watching the Today Show crew introduce their new guiding eyes lab puppy. I’m acting basic because I can’t even.

8:15 am – It’s time for a workout! A couple days ago I dug around in my workout cabinet and found an old Pilates DVD that I didn’t think required too many standing-up movements. I change into workout gear (while wearing my fancy new iWalk hands-free crutch) and cross my fingers that I’ve found a workout I can do.

It’s not exactly Pilates gear, but I didn’t have the energy to dig through my drawers of workout clothes on one foot. It works.


8:25 am – Time for Pilates! I pop in the DVD and am pleasantly surprised to find that I can do almost all the moves in the DVD. They mostly involve laying on your back or sides, and as long as I modify a bit here and there I can do them all. WOOHOO! Best news ever.


After this my abs are dying. Ouch.

8:55 am – Hobble to the bedroom and bathroom to wash my face, change my clothes, and get ready for the day. (Showering is a whole separate issue, and I’ve decided that while I’m on one foot I’m probably going to shower every other day. Judge all you want, but I can’t get my foot wet OR put any weight on it, so I just don’t have the energy to attempt to wash myself every day. #DirtyLife)

9:05 am – Sit down at my makeshift work space and get to work. Fabio moved our iMac from the bookshelf to a TV tray so I can still prop up my foot and ice it while working. He’s the best. He leaves for work around this time (not dressed in sweats like in the photo below, that was right after he walked Jack, he looks handsome in a suit) and I kiss him goodbye.


9:06 – 11:00 am – Work, work, work. I took three sick days for my foot surgery, so there are a ton of emails to catch up on. While I work I prop up my foot and ice it on and off every 20 minutes. Sitting like this is pretty uncomfortable, and I’m feeling incredibly thankful that my job is letting me work remotely while I’m on crutches.

11:01 am – Put on my iWalk crutch and hobble around a bit. I make a pit stop to the bathroom, fill up my water bottle, and tidy up the living room a bit. Thank goodness for this crutch – I love being able to move around and still use my hands.

11:10 am – Back to work! I try to concentrate but really all I want to do is snuggle with this guy. He’s so good at taking care of me.


I work on a couple of interesting writing assignments that take my full attention, and before you know it it’s time for lunch.

1:05 pm – Heat up a bowl of chicken tortilla soup that I made last week in preparation for being off my feet this week. I added a bit of leftover rice from when our family friend Dan brought us Thai food on Monday. It’s spicy and delicious and I slurp up every bite. Plus pills on the side.


While I eat I watch What Not to Wear. I haven’t seen this show in forever and I forget how addicting it is. I try to mute it/turn it off at 1:30 so I can get back to work, but it only sort of works. I wind up half watching/half answering emails until 2:00. Womp womp.

2:00 pm –  TV is turned off – it’s back to work. Finish up the writing assignments I’m working on.


3:15 pm – Take a break to snuggle with this guy. What a ham.


Turn on Ellen to have playing in the background. I love Ellen and am hoping I can multitask by doing work and listening, but it only sort of works. I wind up missing most of Ellen and also slow down on my work progress. Fail. When Ellen is over, I turn the TV back off and keep working.

4:55 pm – Send one last email, then decide I’m allowed to be done for the today. Technically I’m supposed to work until at least 5:00, but what’s five minutes?!

4:56 pm – Put the iWalk back on, and hobble around a bit to clean up my work station, grab my kindle, refill my water bottle, etc. Jack follows me and brings me every single toy he owns. (That’s a lie, it’s probably only half, but holy cow when did he get so many toys?)

5:00 pm – Turn on the news and read my kindle on the couch with Jack for a while. Fall asleep for a little, which is glorious.

5:39 pm – Jack tells me Fabio is home. Woohoo! He comes in and we are both happy to see him. Fabio tells me about his day then takes out Jack. I’m feeling like a huge lazy bones, but I don’t know what else to do. Ugh. This is going to be a long month on crutches.

6:00 pm – My boys are back! I ask Fabio to bring me a snack and am rewarded with a mini Babybell cheese. Delish. I start this post.

6:35 pm – Fabio’s coworker Torin comes over because they have some work they need to finish up. I get distracted talking to them and this post winds up taking longer than usual. They get to order dinner and expense it to their company, so they ask if I want to order with them. Heck yes I do. We go over delivery menus and decide on Chinese. I was hoping for something a little healthier but I am overruled.

7:35 pm – Dinner is here! We devour Chinese while watching Shark Tank. Not a bad way to spend a Wednesday night.

photo (35)

8:00 – 9:00 pm – Hang out with Fabio and Torin in the living room while they continue working. I putz around on Instagram for a while, read some blogs on my phone, and LOL more than once from a group text I’m in with my best friends from home. I think the boys thought I was a little crazy for laughing out loud by myself. 😉

9:05 pm – Say goodnight to the boys and head to the bedroom to read. When I get in there, I see that Jack is laying under the covers with his head on a pillow like a person.

photo (36)

Oh, with his tongue out. What did you expect?

photo (38)

We snuggle together and I read my Kindle for a while.

photo (37)

10:35 pm – I wind up finishing the book I’m reading – The Invention of Wings – and feel that sense of sadness that comes with the completion of a good book. Luckily my friends from home (the ones I was LOLing about earlier) gave me a ton of good books in a care package they dropped off earlier this week, so now I can browse through the stack and pick a new one. I’ll save that for tomorrow though. For now I turn on the TV (Restaurant Impossible) and try to fall asleep.

10:45 pm – Torin leaves and Fabio comes into the bedroom. I ask him to turn the rest of the lights off because I’m crippled and couldn’t do it myself. He giggles at my helplessness but obliges. He comes to bed and I whine a bit about how much my foot is hurting and how annoying it is not to be able to do anything. He reminds me that this surgery was worth the pain, and that I’ll have a long happy life without any foot pain soon. He brings me half a Vicodin for the pain and a bite of brownie to wash it down. What a guy.

11:00 pm  – Sleep.

Question of the day: If you have a pet, do they have any weird sleeping habits?

 Posted by on January 15, 2015

  3 Responses to “The New Normal: Day in the Life Post-Surgery”

  1. Oh hell yeah don’t shower every day! It’s hardly like you’re doing crazy workouts or going outside getting street germs on you.
    Jack is adorable. Alfie loves going under the covers and will rest his head on my thigh. Bless him.

  2. Poor thing! At least you job is letting you work from home. I’m sure that’s much better than trying to hoof it on the metro on crutches at rush hour! Jack is super adorable though. Laney does the same thing though – she loves being under the covers with her head on the pillow. So spoiled!

  3. Glad to hear you were able to get a workout in. I know that can make me feel a ton better when I am not feeling my best. Hopefully you were able to get some endorphins from it 🙂

    My dog and I spoon! Ha

Leave a Reply