Hellllooooo everyone! I am glad to see you were all as excited about my Rome announcement as I was Wheee!! I can’t wait
But anyway, today is Wednesday and you know what that means…
1. For breakfast I had my apple cinnamon overnight oats. They were packed with nutrients and kept me really full all morning. I didn’t wind up eating my lunch until around 1:15 which is really late for me. Plus, the oats were delicious. This is definitely a meal that is going to be seen around here a lot more often, now that I finally bought the required chia seeds. Woohoo!
2. When I finally did get hungry for lunch, I had a PB&J on a sandwich thin along with some raw almonds, pretzel twists, and yogurt-covered pretzels. Yeah I know, this lunch is incredibly lame, but I am still in the process of restocking my fridge after the power outage last week. Even though I went to Trader Joe’s over the weekend, I only picked up a few things and still need to do a full-on restocking shopping trip. Looks like lunch meat is number one on my shopping list (along with lettuce for salads. Argh!)
3. For a snack I had some fresh Rainer cherries from Trader Joe’s. They are so delicious right now and I have been snacking on them all week. Yum!
4. For dinner I had two broiled chicken breast tenders seasoned with cumin, paprika, and Mexican chili powder, topped with half an avocado. On the side I had quinoa cooked in half a packet of taco seasoning (yum!) and some fresh salsa mixed in (similar to my Mexican quinoa). I also had some roasted asparagus. This was a great dinner!
Not a bad day of eating! I am pretty embarrassed about my lunch though; how sad is that picture? I definitely need to make a trip to the food store soon so that I can get some more greens in my diet. Where are my veggies??
Instead of just posting the usual workout recap (i.e. I ran a mile with Jack today and then did half of an Insanity DVD- which is true), I wanted to talk to you guys about why I do Insanity. Why I choose to do the same workouts over and over instead of joining a gym.
Insanity is a 60-day program with a set of DVDs for month 1 and month 2. The DVDs all have a similar layout; they start with a warmup circuit, then stretch, then do two more circuits, then stretch again. Each DVD is slightly different and has different moves. The month 2 DVDs have an extra circuit and are therefore longer and more intense. Here’s an example of what some of the circuits look like:
Warm-up (repeat 3 times)
- Jog in place
- Jumping Jacks
- Heisman (jump from right to left in a crouched position)
- 1-2-3 (same as Heisman but with three quick steps in between)
- Butt kicks
- High knees
- Mummy kicks (arms out straight, alternate kicking your legs)
Circuit 2 (repeat 3 times)
- Suicide drills
- Power squats
- Mountain climbers
- Ski down (jump side to side and move as if you’re skiing down a mountain)
Circuit 3 (repeat 3 times)
- Basketball jumps (jump from down low and “shoot” a basketball)
- Level 1 drills (get down on the floor, do 4 push ups, do 4 mountain climbers on the ground, come back up, repeat)
- Side-to-side abs (stay in a plank and jump with your legs from side to side)
- In-and-out abs (stay in a plank and jump with your legs forward and back)
These things are no joke! I will be hot and sweaty at the end of every single Insanity workout I do. It doesn’t matter if I’ve done it every day that week or I haven’t touched the videos in a month. They always give me a fantastic workout. Plus they are short and sweet and nothing gets my heart rate so high after a mere 45 minutes. They are also quick and intense and don’t allow me to get bored.
I have, however, been thinking about joining a gym (just because I miss being in classes) but it’s been hard to rationalize paying $30 a month (at best) for a gym membership when I already have a workout that I enjoy that is a great mix of cardio and strength workouts. I am signed up to complete Tina’s Best Body Bootcamp at the end of the month, which may be enough to push that gym membership. We will see!
Anyway, what have you guys been eating this week? Any interesting workout regimes you’d like to share? I’m all ears (er- eyes?)