Hey there! How’s your week going? I can’t believe it’s already hump day – time is a-flyin’!
It’s been a little while since I’ve popped in to chat about random happenings in my life, so I figured today was a good day to play catch up and get you up to speed. With that, here are some facts about life lately!
1. Apparently, my fiance likes to make weird faces in wedding photos.
I’m not sure why exactly he feels the need to ruin a perfectly nice photo from Jess and Erick’s wedding with this goofy face, but we recently stumbled upon some evidence showing that this was not his first time doing this.
Haha! Even baby Fabio thinks it’s funny to ruin wedding pictures! Let’s hope he snaps out of this phase before our own wedding next June…gulp.
2. I found a new snack that I’m really liking! The Dutch Cocoa snacks from Somersault Life Co. remind me a bit of Cocoa Puffs cereal and are just sweet enough to satisfy a mid-afternoon craving.
A serving of these little snacks (10 pieces) has just as much protein as a serving of almonds but has less fat and fewer calories.
The rest of the nutrition information is pretty decent too, with 4g of sugar and all ingredients that I recognize and can pronounce. Win!
I picked these up at Whole Foods on a whim last week, and am so glad I did. They make a nice little snack!
3. We have been eating #allthesalmon lately. We bought another huge piece of salmon from Costco last week, and then Fabio cut it into eight individual servings which I then wrapped and froze. Then on the morning that we plan to eat it, I move the salmon from the freezer to the fridge and by dinnertime it’s thawed! This method has been saving us a decent amount of time and money, and we both like knowing that we are getting all those healthy fats from this delicious fish. We’ve been having it once a week for the past month or so, and it’s been really nice.
I usually wind up broiling the salmon with some kind of marinade, and it’s done in about 8 minutes. So easy!
4. Last week Fabio asked me to bake cookies for a potluck at his office, and it was torture. I say it was torture because he needed all the cookies for the party (there are about 40 people on his project, so he needed them all) so I wasn’t allowed to keep any for myself. Boo!
I did wind up eating one from the rack as it cooled, but I had to cut myself off after that.
It was probably for the best though, since I really didn’t need all those extra calories.
FYI – I used this recipe and they wound up being SO delicious! Fabio said everyone was complimenting him on them too (don’t worry, he gave me credit!). I’m thinking this might just be my new go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe. Highly recommend!
5. Last week I enjoyed the BEST oatmeal I’ve had in a long time. Here’s how I made it: mix 1/3 cup oats with 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk and microwave for one minute + 30 seconds, stirring halfway through. Once cooked, add in peanut butter, banana, and strawberries. Mix!
I recently bought new organic peanut butter from Costco made with only organic peanuts and sea salt, and although I’m trying to like it because I know it’s better for me, I really just miss the processed junk like Jif. I’m sure I’ll adjust in time, but the taste just isn’t the same without all the added crap! #justkeepingitreal Anyone else feel like this?
However, when it’s mixed into a delicious bowl of oatmeal like this one, I am 100% on board. Loved this breakfast!
6. I’ve been having some butt-kicking workouts lately at Urban Athletic Club, Reformation Fitness, Definitions, FlyWheel and more. Like usual, I join my friends Anne and Kathleen for a workout at least once a week, and getting up earlier is so much easier when I know I’ll get to sweat with these two.
Also, the weather has continued to be really crappy this week. Every day is overcast, chilly, and rainy. May is usually my favorite month weather-wise, but not this year! What’s the deal, Mother Nature?!
7. We had a really fun Cinco de Mayo last week!
Also, how great is this snapchat filter?
After work, Fabio made us margaritas in my favorite glasses. I love whenever I get to bust these out!
Then after our margs and a quick dinner at home, we headed out for salsa dancing at Toro Toro! I didn’t take any pictures, so you’ll have to get by with this margarita selfie instead. 🙂
Fabio and I are both really terrible at salsa dancing, but we are trying to get better before our trip to Colombia in two weeks. Maybe we should take a class? Like, now? Send help!
8. Our Executive Director brought her dogs into the office yesterday! Bravo, the one in the red shirt, recently had surgery so our ED needed to keep an eye on him to make sure he didn’t open up his stitches. The other one, Cameo, couldn’t be home alone, so she came too!
It was really fun having these two furry friends in our office, and I’m hoping that one day I can bring Jack into work too! We will see! 😀
Aaaaaaand now we’re all caught up. Phew!
Edited to add: One more thing (that I forgot to add originally – whoops!) – I have two free tickets to the DC Lamb Jam this Sunday that I will give away to one lucky reader! At this event, you can taste lamb dishes from some of the best chefs in DC and it’s a TON of fun! You can check out my review from last year here. Just leave a comment about why you want to win and I will pick a winner tomorrow. Good luck!
Question(s) of the day: Would you ever bring your pet to work? Are you good at salsa dancing? How do you feel about natural peanut butters? Want to come to Lamb Jam?