Good afternoon blog world! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day! Today I want to share the recipe for the quinoa side dish that I had with yesterday’s dinner. For this dish, quinoa is mixed in a honey lemon vinaigrette with sweet corn. The flavors are sweet yet savory at the same time and had me practically licking my plate for more. Luckily the recipe made enough for leftovers so you can bet we are having more tonight! Win!
I originally saw this recipe on Iowa Girl Eats. If you’ve never been to her site I highly recommend it. She is always making simple and delicious meals that inspire me to run into the kitchen. No literally. I’ve done that before after reading her blog.
Anyway, we had some fresh corn in the fridge that needed to be used up so last night I decided to give this side dish a try. It was super easy and had great flavors and will definitely be a new staple in my kitchen.
To get started I rinsed 1 cup of quinoa under the tap until the water ran clear. Then I added the quinoa to a saucepan with 1 1/2 cups of water and brought it to a boil. Once it was boiling I lowered the heat and covered it to let it cook for about 15 minutes.
Note: Most recipes will tell you to use 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water, but I read somewhere that the way to get fluffy quinoa is to use 1 part quinoa to 1 1/2 parts water, especially if you are rinsing the quinoa in water first. This makes total sense to me, and my quinoa that used to be soggy now comes out fluffy every time. Try it out next time you make quinoa and let me know how it goes!
While the quinoa cooked, I whisked together lemon juice, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. This mixture would be the vinaigrette for my quinoa.
Once the vinaigrette was combined, I chopped the kernels off of my corn and added them to a large skillet with a little bit of butter and green onions. I cooked the corn for about 4 minutes until it was tender and then seasoned with salt and pepper.
Once everything was warmed through I served it along size of my Shredded Latin Chicken and enjoyed it with some zucchini. As I mentioned before this recipe makes a lot so I’ll be having leftovers tonight. Yum!!
Sweet Corn & Quinoa (Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats)
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp. butter (I used Brummel & Brown)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 ears sweet corn
- salt and pepper
For the Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- lemon zest (I didn’t have any on hand so I omitted)
- Rinse quinoa under running water in a mesh sieve until water runs clear. Combine with water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, then place a lid on top and cook until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the honey lemon vinaigrette in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add green onions and sweet corn and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes or until corn is tender.
- Add in cooked quinoa and honey lemon vinaigrette, then toss thoroughly to combine.
Serve and enjoy!
This recipe was one of my favorites and the flavors are fresh and summery. What are some of your favorite summer recipes? Do you do anything creative with sweet corn?