Search Results : saint ex

Apr 172017

Well we had quite the busy weekend – so much so that I’m going to break my recap up into two posts! I will start with our Friday, which was Good Friday, when we went out to dinner at Bad Saint. I thought it was kind of a funny play on words, right?

On Friday, our good friends Jess and Erick were in town from the Netherlands! They only come back to the states a few times a year (the next time will be for our wedding!) so we always try to get together with them when they’re in town.

When Jess asked if I had a place in mind for dinner and I said I didn’t, she and Erick suggested we try out Bad Saint. For those who don’t know about Bad Saint, it’s a new(ish) Filipino restaurant in Columbia Heights that was ranked the #2 restaurant in the country for 2016 by Bon Appetit. I really wanted to check out Bad Saint for my birthday back in September, but they don’t take reservations and as soon as Bon Appetit announced that it was the #2 restaurant, lines began wrapping around the block to get in.

Since Jess and Erick didn’t have too many plans for the day, they offered to wait in line for a table while Fabio and I were still at work. Erick wound up getting in line around 3 p.m., and, after sight-seeing with her mom for a bit, Jess joined him around 4:30. The two of them waited in line until about 6:00 (!!) when they finally got our names on the list for a 7:30 p.m. seating. Phew! They are seriously the best for doing this!

Fabio and I arrived just after our names got added to the list (meaning we avoided any line-waiting!), and we all headed to the nearby Wonderland Ballroom for a pre-dinner drink.

Psst – remember the last time I was at Wonderland Ballroom back in 2012??

Anyway, the weather was beautiful and we enjoyed a couple of beers al fresco while we (impatiently) waited for a text from Bad Saint saying our table was ready. Finally we got the much-awaited and text and walked over!

Bad Saint is a tiny little restaurant, which is part of the reason the lines are always so long. And there are only two four-top tables, so we got really lucky to snag one. There were lots of people in line behind Erick who weren’t able to get a seating!

The menu was pretty complicated – none of us knew too much about Filipino food – so we asked our waitress for recommendations. Of course she said everything was good, but she highly recommended the prawns.

We wound up getting a bunch of items to share (including the prawns), and then waited for our food. During this time we noticed that an amazing playlist was bumping through the restaurant – lots of throwbacks from the 90s and early 2000s!

In addition to food, we also had to think about what drinks to get! The menu had four specialty cocktails listed, and since there were four of us we got one of each. We passed them around the table and while I thought all of them were delicious, I settled on a fruity, tropical tasting one (I think it was the Diki-Diki?).

Before long, our food started arriving! We started with some octopus salad that was very light and citrusy, almost like ceviche but with potatoes in it…

…and then we had a delicious cauliflower curry with eggplant and acorn squash. This was one of my favorite dishes! It was also served with some delicious sticky brown rice.

For one of our main entrees, we chose the bone marrow soup! This flavor of this was so unique – it was beefy but also earthy, and so, so, good. We all agreed we loved this one!

And for our other main entree, we got the beef cheeks. Though these were a little fatty, the flavor was phenomenal – they sort of reminded me of sausage or bacon. The sauce on the side was very spicy, but also delicious.

And then we also got the prawns, which I sadly forgot to snap a photo of (I was too busy eating!). They came with the heads on – though the rest of the prawn was peeled – and were covered in a delectable black garlic sauce. Yum!

Once our cocktails were finished the boys also ordered a round of beers, and Fabio was super excited to see that they had beers from RAR, the fun brewery we visited last year in Cambridge! 🙂

Once our main meal was over, we were served dessert – a sauteed banana with the most delicious caramel sauce on top. The sauce was mostly melted but had a few bites that were starting to crisp up, and it was so, so good. I practically licked my banana leaf clean!

All in all we had such a fun night at Bad Saint, and were so thankful to Jess and Erick for both suggesting it and offering to wait in line. They are truly the best!! Plus we had such a fun time catching up with them, and now I can’t wait to see them for our weeding!! Eek!

Oh and one last little tidbit I thought you might enjoy: We wound up bringing home the bone from the bone marrow soup since we thought we knew someone who might enjoy it.

When we were eating the soup earlier in the evening, we tried our best to get all the marrow out of the bone, but one side was completely solid so we weren’t able to scoop out very much. Well, in the morning we saw that Jack had been up all night, hard at work at removing all that marrow. I guess he liked it!! 🙂


The end.

Question of the day: Would you wait in line for so long for a restaurant? Have you ever been to Bad Saint or the other famous DC restaurant with a long line, Rose’s Luxury?

While Erick was waiting in line, he talked to some of the people around him and found out that some of them are line-waiters, i.e., people you find on Craigslist and pay to stand in line for you! Crazy!

 Posted by on April 17, 2017
Jan 132014

Good morning and happy Monday! I hope you all had a great weekend! Mine was pretty average- not the most exciting but still pretty fun- so let’s jump right into today’s recap!


Friday evening was cold and rainy, so Fabio and I decided to spend the evening at home. On my way home from work I picked up some tomato basil soup and half sandwiches from Cosi (I got the turkey and brie which is SO GOOD), and it was really nice to have a warm dinner ready to be eaten as soon as I got home 🙂


While we ate, we watched The Reluctant Fundamentalist which is a movie about how 9/11 affected an innocent Pakistani man who was living in NYC at the time. It was a pretty good movie, but the ending was a little depressing. Still, I’d recommend it!

We spent the rest of the evening curled up on the couch which was exactly what I wanted 🙂


Fabio and I woke up super early on Saturday morning because we had to make a trip to the DMV. Fabio has finally, finally decided to trade in his beat up old New York driver’s license (that is so old it still says “under 21” on it) for a Virginia one. About time!


The DMV opened at 8:00 am so we got there a little early and were out of there by around 10:00 am. The lines moved pretty quickly and once it was our turn it took less than three minutes. Not too bad!

After the DMV Fabio and I headed into DC for the NBC 4 Health and Fitness Expo. It was another cold and rainy day, we had no other plans, and I had received a few emails about the event so we decided to check it out. Oh yeah, and it was free 😉


It was packed!! I think that because it was free and the weather was so crappy a lot of people wanted to come to the expo. It was pretty cool and they had tables set up for all sorts of things- nutrition products, gyms, children’s health, etc. One thing that I found very cool was the number of free screenings that were being offered at the event. I’m sure there were a lot of people there who never do things like get their blood pressure checked (including me), and it was so great that they offered the opportunity at the expo.

They also had a lot of live fitness classes going on…


A couple healthy cooking demonstrations…IMG_7949


And some tough mudder style challenges. IMG_7950

Fabio spun this wheel at the Marine Corps Marathon booth that would have made him do 5 push ups, 5 star jumps, 5 sit ups, or something similar. I was hoping he would get one of these, but he just got a tattoo that said NBC 4 instead. LAME!IMG_7946

When we were getting ready to leave the expo we saw a woman come in with a puppy that she’s training to be a service dog. Usually you’re not supposed to pet these dogs, but luckily for us, Saturday was his “socialization day” so we got to pet him and get a few licks. SO ADORABLE!! Now I want a puppy, haha.


After the expo Fabio and I headed back home to relax for a while, and then for dinner we headed back into DC to try District Chophouse and Brewery. Our friends were all meeting at Penn Social in Chinatown at around 8:00 pm to watch a football game, so we wanted to grab dinner somewhere nearby and District Chophouse sounded like a good place.

When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly waiter who explained the specials of the day and told us about their home-brewed beers. Once we ordered the beers he brought them out along with a cast-iron skillet of corn bread. YUM!


For my entree I went with Chicken Piccata and roasted vegetables, and Fabio ordered the steak tips with mushrooms and mashed potatoes. We also ordered a side of asparagus.


Everything was delicious and I would definitely recommend this place. We will be back for sure!

After dinner we walked over to Penn Social where a ton of Fabio’s fraternity brothers were hanging out. We had a nice time watching the game, drinking some beers, and playing arcade games. Fabio and I played some skeeball and although we tied for the first two rounds (woohoo!!) I wound up losing badly on the third round. Ah, well. It happens 😉

skeeball After Penn Social we took a cab over to the U Street area to meet up with my pledge sister/college roommate/coworker (yea, all those things) Lauren and some of our other friends 🙂 We wound up going to Saint Ex which has a big dance area in the basement, which was a lot of fun. IMG_7967

She has been one of my best friends since the fall of 2008, which is around the same time I met Fabio, so the three of us have been through so much together. Love her!!


P.S. What is up with my hair??


Sunday was a lot more relaxing and Fabio and I pretty much lazed around the house all day. I did go for a run with Jack and we did some grocery shopping, but that’s pretty much it. And I was 100% ok with that 😉

For dinner I made a delicious bacon butternut squash pizza (whole wheat) in a cast iron skillet and it was SO AMAZING. I will share the recipe with you guys later this week!


We finished up the night by switching between the Golden Globes and football, and I loved seeing everyone’s beautiful gowns 🙂 Perfect Sunday!

Question of the day: Did you watch the Golden Globes? Who did you think was best dressed?

 Posted by on January 13, 2014
Sep 262016

Hey friends! How was your weekend? Mine was an amazing celebration of my 27th birthday (which is tomorrow, Sept. 27, making it my “golden birthday”) and everything about it was absolutely perfect. Here’s my recap!


When I came home from work on Friday evening, my friends Catrina and Britt who have been staying with us all week had a few surprises up their sleeves. Friday afternoon’s commute home was especially frustrating for me since there was a fire at Metro Center which caused a whole number of metro issues, so to say this was a sight for sore eyes would be an understatement.


They even made these peanut butter brownies for my birthday and greeted me at the door with a glass of wine. These girls are too amazing.



As soon as Fabio got home, he made us each a delicious Moscow mule while I got to work prepping the chicken fajitas we were having for dinner. Yum!


After dinner, the girls and Fabio sang me happy birthday, and I honestly had trouble thinking of anything to wish for. My life feels just about perfect these days, and having two of my best friends by my side to celebrate with me had me feeling like the luckiest girl ever.



Then it was time for peanut butter brownies and ice cream! (Fabio’s contribution was the ice cream, and it was the perfect addition to an already amazing birthday dessert.)


While we dug into our brownies, we watched the new NBC show, This is Us, which we’ve all been looking forward to watching since the trailer came out over the summer. It was really good! I can’t wait to watch the next episode on Tuesday when it airs. Then we watched the movie Joy, which was also good!


(Lol – Britt’s face in this pic!)


On Saturday morning, Catrina, Britt, and I drove into Friendship Heights for bridesmaid dress shopping part 2! A bunch of my other bridesmaids also came into town for this. They’re the best!


In case you missed it, last weekend I went to Bella Bridesmaids with my mom and two Maids of Honor to pick out bridesmaid dresses, and this week the rest of my bridal party joined me at the store to try on the different dresses and decide which ones they wanted. Almost everyone was able to make it to the store for the big shopping day, which made it so much fun!

These are the colors I’ll be using…


…and here are some of the styles. Everyone looked great in the dresses and made it so easy!


By the way, if you are struggling to pick out the right bridesmaid dresses for your girls, I would recommend Bella Bridesmaids in a heartbeat. They were so incredibly helpful throughout this whole process and made everything so easy for me. They were great!

After shopping, we met up with the guys and some of our other friends for a big birthday brunch! Our group of 18 met at Espita Mezcaleria for a fun boozy brunch. We weren’t all able to fit at one table but having two tables next to each other seemed to work out just fine.



I wound up sharing my meal with my friend Hana, and we had one potato hash dish with poached eggs and one jalepeno biscuit dish also with poached eggs.


Both were delicious, but the jalapeno biscuit stole the show!


Then the waitress brought out tres leches cake and ice cream for me while everyone sang happy birthday. Please excuse the blurriness of this photo, which was screenshotted from a snapchat video!




After that, we spent the rest of the day hopping around to various bars in DC, including to one of my favorite beer gardens, Dacha.



I was so incredibly thankful to be surrounded by so many people I love on this special day. Plus, every single girl in this picture had come in from out of town (two from NY, one from Philly, one from California, one from Virginia Beach, and one from Boston). They are the best friends ever!


We spent a few hours in the sunshine catching up with one another and enjoying beers in large boot-shaped glasses that Dacha is so well-known for.




So fun!



Eventually we headed home to walk Jack (and snuggle him, in Fabio’s case) where we munched on some snacks and then headed out to my favorite bar for dancing: Saint Ex.


We wrapped up our evening there and just had the best time. Thank you so much to everyone who was able to make it to my bridesmaids dress shopping outing and birthday celebration!


We had about 7 people stay at our house on Saturday evening, so on Sunday morning Fabio made breakfast for everyone. He’s the best!


After eating, it was time for all our guests to hit the road. It was definitely sad saying goodbye to so many of my friends, but I was left feeling so incredibly thankful that they were all able to come out and celebrate with me. <3

The rest of the day was spent cleaning up the aftermath of such a big party and watching football on the couch. It was the perfect way to end the weekend!

Question of the day: How did you celebrate your last birthday?

 Posted by on September 26, 2016
May 192014

Hello, hello! Boy do I have a lot to share with you guys today. I had a really fun weekend that was absolutely jam-packed, so let’s jump right into today’s recap!


On Friday night I met my friends Britt and Jess at Hank’s Oyster Bar for a little ladies’ dinner! (Chicks #1)


I had never been to Hank’s before, even though I’ve heard plenty of people talk about it over the years. Unfortunately Fabio is allergic to shell fish, so I knew an oyster bar would never be a place he’d suggest going. That made it a perfect spot for an evening with the girls!

We ordered six raw oysters to share as an appetizer, and my friends had a good laugh at my inexperience with eating them. I had only ever had raw oysters once or twice, so I was a total rookie! Everyone always says you should swallow the oysters down like a shot, so I didn’t know that you can chew them a little. It was pretty funny and even though I barely tasted oyster #1 because I swallowed it so fast, I enjoyed #2 a little more 🙂 Ha!

For my entree I chose the softshell crab with tomato, pesto, and feta cheese which was delicious. I love softshells and will always order them when they’re on the menu!


I got home from dinner at around 11:00 pm and then read my book in bed for a while before eventually giving in to sleep. It was a nice evening!


On Saturday morning I had workout plans with Britt at noon, so I made a two-ingredient pancake with a little peanut butter on top for myself beforehand. I was feeling extra hungry so I used two eggs instead of one, and it got the job done.


After breakfast it was time for our workout! I met up with Britt at the metro, and from there we headed over to Ballston for a “Sweat for Survival” CrossFit class benefiting the American Cancer Society.


One of my former coworkers set up the event and invited me on Facebook a couple weeks ago, and ever since I heard all about CrossFit from Catrina I have been wanting to try it out. It was a free class with a suggested donation of $15 benefiting the American Cancer Society, which I thought was perfect. Sweat for a good cause? Count me in.


The class itself was fantastic! It was an introductory level class that was customizable to your fitness level.

We started out with a brief 400 meter run followed by some plyometric moves as our warm up. Then we spent some time going over squats and the coaches came around and corrected everyone’s form. After we practiced our squat form, the coaches explained the workout of the day (WOD). The WOD was as many reps as possible (AMRAP) of wall balls, box jumps, and burpees.

We spent one minute on each exercise and then rested for one minute in between, which we repeated three times. We were encouraged to count each rep (so each wall ball, each box jump, each burpee) continuously throughout the workout. The goal was to get 200 reps, which no one in our class was able to do (though one guy got to 194 I believe). I got up to 161 which I was pretty proud of! I definitely hustled to try to get in as many reps as I could and I loved that I was competing against myself and the clock. It was a great workout and definitely made me want to go back! I’ll be keeping my eyes open for more CrossFit deals, that’s for sure.

After CrossFit I headed back toward home and picked up a salad from Corner Bakery on the way. Gotta refuel!


After lunch I quickly showered and then met up with a bunch of Bianca’s girl friends at the BullPen, the fun outdoor bar outside of the National’s ball park! (Chicks #2!)


Thank you, Fabio, for photobombing.

We debated buying tickets for the actual game, but we got there late and tickets were around $40. We decided instead it would be more fun to just hang out in the BullPen and listen to the live band, play cornhole, and drink cheaper beers 😉

Here I am with Britt, feeling a little sore after our morning CrossFit adventure.


Fabio also took advantage of the little pitching booth they had set up in the BullPen, which he does pretty much every time we go there. He used to play baseball in high school so he likes to check up on his throwing speed from time to time.



Go Fabs!!

It was a beautiful day and I had so much fun with my friends!


After the BullPen we all headed to Cantina Marina for dinner, and then went to Saint Ex to continue dancing the night away. It was so much fun!


Since I didn’t see my mom last weekend for Mother’s Day, Fabio and I went over to her house yesterday to enjoy a belated celebration! My aunt and uncle were also in town from NYC and Los Angeles (respectively) so we had a fun day with the family!

Chicks #3!


I gave my mom her Mother’s Day gift, which was a Lily Pulitzer serving tray. It matched what she was wearing perfectly and I think she really liked it!


She immediately put it to use by bringing out her delicious chips, salsa, and guacamole!


I also got to see the baby chicks! (Chicks #4!)

They are so cute right now and it’s going to be so funny to see how they change when they grow up to be real chickens! My mom is so excited that she’ll have fresh eggs every morning, and I can’t wait to take some back home with me when there are extra eggs.


SOOO adorable.


It was a wonderful day with my family!


Questions of the day: Are you a fan of baseball games, or do you just enjoy the atmosphere? Would you ever consider raising chickens?

 Posted by on May 19, 2014
Feb 242014

Hey guys! Happy Monday!

I for one actually am happy that it’s Monday because it’s a short week for me. As you may remember, Thursday is my last day at my current job (yikes!) and I leave for Bolivia on Friday (woohoo!!).

There’s a lot to do so I’m going to keep this relatively short! <– On second thought, this post still wound up being pretty long.



After work on Friday I headed over to my friend Claire’s new apartment by NOMA in DC, which was absolutely gorgeous. The building was very modern and included a pool, hot tub, sauna, and perfect rooftop view of the city. Awesome! Fabio and I are playing around with the idea of moving out of Arlington and into DC, so it was nice to see this area of town.

After hanging out at her new apartment for a bit, I headed over to Union Kitchen to meet up with Fabio and a bunch of our friends.


From what I understand, Union Kitchen is an organization that helps smaller food and alcohol vendors promote their companies by allowing them to using the kitchen at Union Market. Friday night was their one year anniversary, so they had a bunch of vendors come in with food, snacks, beer, wine, custom cocktails, etc. Since it was their one year anniversary, everything was free as long as you made a reservation ahead of time. Woohoo!

Union Kitchen had a really fun atmosphere and there was a live band playing right in the kitchen. Cool! unionkitchenoneyear

They also did a good job with their promotion by including fun props for photos and suggested hashtags to get involved.


Check out the delicious raviolis I got from one of the vendors- short rib raviolis (left) and buffalo chicken raviolis (right).

unionkitchenraviolis We stayed at Union Kitchen for a little while and then afterword took cabs to Saint Ex, which seems to be my new bar of choice since I have now been there about 5 or 6 times in the last few months. What can I say, everyone seems to love the music there!


Saturday morning I was up bright and early to get my hair cut at 9:00 am. It was quick and easy and the woman did a great job 🙂

Afterwords I came back for breakfast (an egg on an arepa, made by Fabio) with a delicious smoothie made with frozen peaches, strawberries, and mangoes, skim milk, and spinach. Yum. It definitely hit the spot after a night of drinking.

breakfast It was a beautiful day here on Saturday, so Fabio and I took Jack to the dog park for a while after breakfast. There were two adorable puppies there (one black lab and one yellow one!!!) and Jack had fun playing around with them. Now I need a puppy 😉dogpark After the dog park we dropped off Jack and then met up with my mom, stepdad, stepsister, and her boyfriend at the movies!

We wanted to see the movie Pompeii since we went there last Summer and thought it would be fun to compare the movie to the real city. What movie would be complete without popcorn and 3D glasses? My mom rocks those glasses pretty well, I think.

momatthemovies Overall the movie was great and I found myself getting emotionally attached to all the characters. It sort of reminded me of Titanic because you know what’s going to happen, but you still wind up rooting for the characters to make it (especially since there’s a bit of a love story going on). I definitely recommend this movie and would love to see it again!

After the movie we all got a late lunch at Gordon Biersch brewery, and I ordered a delicious got cheese and artichoke flatbread. Yum!

veggieflatbread As soon as lunch was over, Fabio and I headed back home where I quickly got ready for my friend Becky’s bachelorette party. Remember when I said I got invited to two weddings recently? Well of course that means that even though I went to one bachelorette party last Saturday, I went to another one this weekend. Phew! So many bachelorettes, so little time.

This one was at the Embassy Suites in DC, and was a ton of fun. Here I am with Angela! We couldn’t resist posing with the lion.embassysuiteslion

And here’s the whole group!!

beckysbachelorette It was a really fun night and, luckily for me, it wrapped up relatively early (around 12:30) so I was still able to get a decent night’s sleep. Yay!


Sunday morning was another beautiful day, and Fabio and I headed out for a 5 mile run!arlingtonmemorialbridge It was SUCH a pretty day for being outside and I was literally smiling in the sunshine the whole time. I am so ready for spring!

We ended our run at Chiptole (this was no coincidence- we planned it that way, haha!) and treated ourselves to some burrito bowls for lunch 🙂 chipotle So good!

Overall it was another great week of workouts!!weeklyworkouts The rest of the day was spent running errands and getting ready for our upcoming trip to Bolivia. We pulled out our suitcases, did a ton of laundry (including all my summer clothes that I plan to bring) and just generally got everything ready. I can’t wait!!

BTW, how pretty are my Valentine’s Day flowers looking right now? Not all of them are holding out this well, but I thought these two were especially pretty, and just had to share 🙂



Question of the day: Did you have good weather this weekend? What did you to enjoy it?

 Posted by on February 24, 2014
Feb 182014

Hello and happy Tuesday! 🙂 I hope you all had a lovely weekend and day off from work yesterday, if you were lucky enough to get one!!

I had a fantastic weekend and had a lot going on, so let’s jump right into today’s recap.


When I walked in the door on Friday evening, I was welcomed by a bouquet of gorgeous roses from Fabio.


I am happy to report that they are looking even more  gorgeous today, since they’ve had some time to open up a little since Friday night 🙂 He also made me this sweet card from him and Jack.


Fabio is not a fan of paying for cards since he says they just get thrown away (true) so he opted to make one himself. I didn’t mind one bit and thought it was a super cute card.

Then I gave him his gifts from me (some Kit-Kats and white chocolate, and a dog-themed card) and then we gave Jack his gift: a new lion squeak toy.


He loves it, obviously 😉 Doesn’t take much to keep this pup happy! (LOL look at his tongue…)

After exchanging gifts we both got busy in the kitchen- Fabio was in charge of making dinner and I was tasked with making a red velvet cake! (Per Fabio’s request;))

For dinner Fabio made one the meals that came in our Blue Apron delivery which featured chicken thighs/legs with spinach, quinoa, dried cherries, pistachios, and feta cheese. SO GOOD. This was by far my favorite of the three Blue Apron meals we had last week. We will definitely be making this meal again!


And here is my red velvet cake! We don’t have any cake pans so I made it into a sheet cake instead, which worked out pretty well. It was a little hard to ice and I made a bit of a mess, but it sure tasted good!




We spent the rest of the evening hanging out on the couch watching movies (we watched The Butler which was really good!) and drinking wine. It was a perfect Valentine’s Day, if you ask me.


Fabio and I woke up pretty early Saturday morning to get a run in. It was rainy, sleety, and miserable out, but I knew we wouldn’t have time to run later on so we sucked it up and went.

We opted to take our favorite three-mile route into Georgetown, and on our way we saw this handsome snowman so I obviously had to stop and take a photo 🙂


Heyyyy, Mr. Snowman!

The run went pretty well but a lot of the sidewalks are still snowy and icy so we had to take it pretty slow at times.

After our run I gobbled down a bowl of oatmeal and then met up with some of my friends around 10:30 in DC to head to a bridal shower!


As I mentioned on Friday, my good friend Courtney is getting married next month and her bridal shower and bachelorette parties were this weekend. The shower was beautifully done and I thought everything went really smoothly.

Here are Jess, Britt, and Megan!


And me with the beautiful bride!


There was a ton of great food and snacks at the shower, plus mimosas, wine, water and sodas.


My friend Jess (who is also the groom’s sister) set up these fun trivia games for Courtney and Kevin.


Trivia questions included the location of their first date, the kind of dog they want, and their favorite football team. There were also some “mad-libs” poems to fill out for the bride and groom. These were some great little activities to keep guests busy as we waited for the bride to open her gifts.

When it was gift time, Courtney headed over to her  throne chair 😉


My friend Jess also passed around bridal shower bingo at this point, which you filled out based on the gifts you thought the bride might receive. It made the gift opening portion of the shower a lot of fun since everyone was able to get a little competitive. We were having fun claiming that things like spatulas and tongs counted as “utensils.” Hey, it could work!

Once Courtney was done opening her gifts, she received a ribbon bouquet to use during her wedding rehearsal. So cute!bridalshower8

After the shower we headed back into DC to get ready for the bachelorette party. We started off by having dinner at Matchbox, a delicious pizza place on 14th Street. We had a huge table on the top floor to ourselves, which was perfect.


Matchbox was a fantastic venue for this occasion, and we all thoroughly enjoyed the specialty cocktails and pizzas (especially the veggie, which was essentially pesto with artichoke).


After dinner we headed back to the hotel where a few people were staying this night to kick off some bechelorette fun and games. Everyone brought lingerie gifts to the party and had to write a short poem so Courtney could guess who gave her what.


I wound up giving her a hot pink lacy piece for her lingerie, which she could pretty much tell was from me without even reading my poem, because it was SO girly. Woops! Guess I need to be a little more stealthy next time, haha.

We had a lot of fun dancing to music and sipping on wine with the bride-t0-be.


Congrats, Court!


College friends 🙂

bachelorette4 The group!


After hanging around the hotel for a while we headed out into the night and popped into a couple different bars on 14th Street (Policy and Saint Ex, for you locals). It was a fantastic evening and it made me even more excited for the big celebration in March! Can’t wait!!


Sunday was a bit more low-key, and Fabio and I enjoyed a nice day with my family. My grandmother celebrated her 79th birthday last week, so we met up with my dad, stepmom, sister, and grandparents for lunch on Sunday to commemorate the occasion. We wound up going to the Clyde’s in Tower Oaks (MD) which is decorated like a huge ski lodge/tavern.

grandparents Each room is decorated differently and we wound up in a horse/fox hunting themed room right next to a cozy fireplace.

Fun fact: My stepdad is an avid fox hunter and he gets to wear the red coat and everything. Also, whenever I think of foxhunting I think of this.


My sister, Fabio, and I had some fun exploring other rooms in the restaurant.

She looks so small at the end of this tunnel!


HUGE deer heads!


But not as big as the moose!


Lunch was a lot of fun (and really delicious- I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich) and I was so glad to spend some time with my family. My grandparents are such wonderful people and I am so lucky that I still have them in my life and get to see them as often as I do.

After lunch, my dad took us all to SPAGnVOLA, a small chocolate factory in Gaithersburg, MD, where we picked up some Valentine’s Day treats  for us ladies 🙂 It was really cool to see how the chocolates were made and learn all about how the cocoa plant is picked, processed, and turned into delicious chocolate.



kentlandschocolates It was definitely a fun way to spend the afternoon with my family.

Sunday afternoon/Monday

The rest of weekend was much more relaxing and included a lot of reading, resting, cleaning, and running errands. I did manage to get another run in (4 miles) and although it was still icy and snowy, the sun was out which made my run much better.snowdc I only slipped on the ice twice, and didn’t fall at all (you know your life is sad when…)

Overall it was a great week of workouts this week!chelseaeatstreatsworkoutcalendar

Last night Bianca came over to watch the Bachelor with Fabio, Jack, and me, and we enjoyed some leftover red velvet cake and wine. Having Bianca over is definitely my new favorite Monday night tradition 🙂

Question of the day: For those of you who watch the Bachelor, who do you want to win?

I want Renee or Andi!! I am not a fan of Clare or Nikki AT ALL.

 Posted by on February 18, 2014
Oct 202017

Hi friends! I’m still alive – just insanely busy at work. It’s been really hard for me to arrive home at like 8 p.m. and then make dinner and sit down to blog, but hopefully things should be calming down soon. November is right around the corner, which means our American Diabetes Month campaign will have to be finished by then – right? (I’m joking – of course it will be – hopefully.)

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in today to tell you about a traumatizing morning that I had earlier this week. It’s a pretty gross – but funny – story, so I thought you’d enjoy! Warning: If you don’t like bugs, this one’s not for you (Megan!)!

It all started on Wednesday morning after I took a class at FlyWheel and then headed into work to shower in the little shower room they have there. It’s nothing fancy – just a small enclosed room with a shower and small changing space with a bench for your stuff – but it works and there’s never a line, which made it more appealing than the crowded showers at FlyWheel.

The water takes a bit of time to warm up in that shower, so when I got in there I locked the door behind me, set out my stuff, turned my music on, and then went to turn the water on like usual (luckily I hadn’t undressed yet, which you’ll see is important in a minute).

When I pulled back the clear shower curtain, something brown slid down in front of me.

I immediately leaped back, but wasn’t sure quite what I had seen. Then I moved the shower curtain again and a huge, brown cockroach scuttled out from under it and started running around the small enclosed shower room.

At this point I jumped up onto the bench as the cockroach continued to run all around this small enclosed room. At one point it ran over to where my heels were laid out, and proceeded to hide under them. Ew, ew, ew!!

I remember thinking I might be stuck on this bench for a while – how would I ever get down and then proceed to shower in this room?!

Then I heard someone else come into the main part of the bathroom, which was unusual since it was only 8 a.m. and most people weren’t in the office yet. I opened the door to my shower room and jumped from the bench down into the main part of the bathroom, and asked if someone was there.

When I rounded the corner, I saw it was one of our VPs – great – but at this point I had already started my request so I had to finish it. I asked if there was any way she could help me kill this cockroach, mostly because I needed some moral support.

She agreed (what a saint!) and grabbed some napkins to help take care of it. Then she turned to me and was like, “You know some of them fly, right?” Oh man. I hadn’t thought of that.

Together we entered the shower room and proceeded to chase this big bug around, both of us screaming and squealing intermittently. At one point she stepped on it and it crunched, but when she lifted her shoe it continued running around. Ugh!

Eventually I was able to corner it and step on it, and it made a huge crunch and all this juice gushed out. Yep, it was dead. Teamwork!

At this point I was super grossed out, but relieved to have solved the problem. I used some napkins to pick up the bug, and then walked to the trash can. Unfortunately, the door to the shower room locked behind me!! I guess somehow it was still locked from earlier?!

The VP said she’d send an email to our building management folks to let them know, and then she went back to her desk (I later bought her a Starbucks gift card to thank her for her help).

I stood there waiting for about 15 minutes – in my sweaty gym clothes, barefoot – until someone finally arrived to help. When our building guy got there he discovered his master key didn’t work for that lock (!!!) so he had to go get the main building engineer.

By this time lots of other people started arriving at the office, and they were looking at me strangely since I was barefoot and in sweaty gym clothes.

Eventually the engineer guy was able to let me back into the shower room using a big wire rig thing that he said “doesn’t usually work.” Ha!

Despite having arrived at work extra early to get started on my day, I didn’t wind up getting to my desk until around 9:15. Womp womp.

Anyway, it was a pretty traumatic experience, but it’s kind of funny now. 🙂

Happy Friday!

Question of the day: Share a bug story, or a story of something embarrassing happening to you.

 Posted by on October 20, 2017
Aug 262016

Hello there, and happy Friday to you! Did you have a nice week? Here are some of the things that made me smile this week, Favorite Things Friday style. 🙂

Favorite New Salad Add-In – Trader Joe’s Fully Cooked Lentils


I think I mentioned this last week, but Trader Joe’s fully cooked lentils are my new favorite salad add-in! They are perfectly seasoned and add a great flavor to any salad, plus they provide a boost of protein and fiber. I liked them so much I am thinking about adding lentil-cooking to my usual Sunday meal prep. What do you guys think? Do you cook your own lentils? Do you add spices to them? I think it’s time to start researching!

Favorite New Nutrition Tracker – MyFitnessPal Macros


Lately I’ve been curious about tracking my macros, and after googling macro trackers I realized that MyFitnessPal has this functionality built into its app. I used to use MFP back in the day to track calories and nutrients, but I love that they now have macro tracker as well.

One thing I noticed this week from tracking is that I don’t crave sweets/dessert as much when my macro levels are on track. Interesting, right? After dinner I almost always crave a little something sweet, and I found that if I ate close to my goal macros during the day then I didn’t crave the sugar as much. Of course this could have been a one-off occurrence so I’m going to continue tracking, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Then again I am usually pretty bad at sticking with trackers like this – especially when there’s no real goal in my mind – so we will see how long it lasts!

Favorite Mood – FlyWheel


Last week when I visited FlyWheel I was feeling sort of off. I was super tired that day for some reason, and just didn’t push myself as hard as usual during class. The instructor and playlist also make a huge difference for me which definitely could have had something to do with it, but for whatever reason I was just off my game.

This week when I went I was feeling MUCH better, and I was even spinning in 2nd and 3rd place for most of the class. When I got home I compared my personal FlyWheel stats online, and I saw that I had performed much better this time around. I’m not sure what was going on last week – maybe I wasn’t getting enough sleep? – but whatever the reason I was happy to see improvement this week!

Favorite Wednesday activity – Happy Hour with my MoH


My good friend and Maid of Honor, Bianca, was in town this week for work training, and Fabio and I joined her for happy hour on Wednesday. Since Bianca is from Maryland like I am, her family joined us for the evening as well. We had a fun night catching up with her family!



Favorite Purchase – Nine West Purse from Tj Maxx


I recently decided it was time for a new work bag, so I headed over to TJ Maxx on my lunch break one day to scope out the options. I spotted this black and tan tote bag from Nine West that only cost $29! (This one is similar.) The funny part is that they had another purse that looked just like it from Michael Kors that cost significantly more (close to $200). No thanks – I’ll stick with my $30 version for now. 😉


So far it’s been working out great!

Favorite Lunch – SweetGreen


I ran out of salad greens on Tuesday this week, so from Wednesday on it was pretty much all SweetGreen all the time. I can’t help it – their salads are just so delicious! Right now I’m loving their peach and goat cheese summer salad with chicken added for protein. Yum! I’m going to be so sad when this one comes off the rotation.

Favorite New Podcasts – YHL & Bon Appetit

Is anyone else out there enjoying the Young House Love podcasts? As a long-time YHL blog reader, I am loving these fun podcasts about DIY, home decor, blogging, and more. I missed hearing from John and Sherry now that they don’t write for their blog as regularly, and it’s been nice to catch up with them via a weekly podcast.


Another podcast I’m loving lately is the Bon Appetit foodcast! This one was a recommendation from my friend Jess, who is a food lover like I am, and I’m so glad she told me about this one! I never get tired of hearing about food, and I love that this one interviews famous chefs and gives me ideas for restaurants I want to check out. After listening to this, I’m now dying to go to Bad Saint, a Filipino restaurant in Columbia Heights that was ranked #2 on Bon Appetit’s list of 2016 best restaurants. Has anyone been?


Psst – looking for even more podcasts? Find a list of my favorites here

Favorite New Show – Stranger Things

netflix stranger things poster


I feel like everyone is watching this Netflix show right now! A coworker first told me about it and now I’m seeing it pop up on blogs around the interwebs. I have to warn you, it’s a little scary and not great to watch before bed. Even so, Fabio and I are devouring this show (we started on Monday) and I think we’re going to be finished with it before we know it (maybe by the end of the weekend?). It’s so good!

Favorite For A Good Cause – Elect-A-Pet 2016

I recently got an email from the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria (AWLA) about their Elect-A-Pet 2016 election, and the dog lover in my couldn’t resist posting an announcement about it. According to the email, this year’s national election has inspired the AWLA to create “Elect-a-Pet 2016,” a political spin on their annual photo competition. To participate in the election, you just submit a picture of your pet to the election ($30 per entry) and then try to get more votes than any other pet!

Elvis is currently in the lead with 720 votes. 🙂

Elect-a-pet 2016

All proceeds go to the animals, of course! I’m thinking about adding a picture of Jack to the competition, but I have to look at the rules more carefully since I don’t live in Alexandria. Either way, I love this idea for a fundraiser and hope a couple of you will participate!

Question of the day: What made you smile today?

 Posted by on August 26, 2016
Sep 222015

Hi friends! Today I’m popping in with the final recap of our European adventure: Paris! If you missed any of the earlier recaps you can find those here:


On Friday morning, Fabio and I arrived in Paris after a quick 40ish minute train ride from Reims. Not bad! We quickly dropped off our bags at our friend Bryan’s apartment and then set off to explore.


Thanks for hosting us, Bryan!

Fabio and I have been to Paris once before, but since we were only there for a few days we only had time to tour Notre Dame and climb to the top of Eiffel Tower. Both of us regretted not visiting the world-famous Louvre museum on that trip, so we made sure to knock it out during our first day in Paris this time.

Everyone always says to get to the Louvre super early to avoid long lines, but Fabio and I decided to do the opposite. We sort of figured that everyone waits in the long lines early in the morning, so theoretically the lines should be much shorter in the late afternoon. We decided to buy tickets for 3:00 pm, and since it was a Friday the museum didn’t close until 10:00 pm anyway, giving us plenty of time to explore. We bought our tickets online ahead of time and then picked them up from a little tourist office close to the museum.

After picking up our tickets, we stopped for lunch where we shared two French essentials: French onion soup and a croque monsieur!



Both were delicious!

After lunch, it was time for the museum! We entered through the secret side entrance along the Porte des Lions and literally had NO line. None! We were inside right away.


Once inside the museum we purchased audio guides for about 5 euros, which were totally worth buying. Since the museum is so huge, we came prepared with a list of “must-see” displays and then just casually browsed through everything else.

Obviously we saw the Mona Lisa, which was frankly rather underwhelming. Something about the crowd of people swarming in front of it and taking selfies just really detracted from the beauty of the piece. It was also much smaller than I expected.


Hmm. Not my fave.

While in the museum we also saw the Venus de Milo, Raft of Medusa, Winged Victory, Coronation of Napoleon, Psyche Revived, and some of the jewels from ancient Egypt. I loved all of these! Even with just visiting those few displays, Fabio and I spent more than two hours in the museum.

Honestly I didn’t really enjoy the Louvre that much because I felt like it was too overwhelming. Even though I knew this going in, I was still disappointed that I couldn’t really enjoy what was in front of me because there was just too much STUFF everywhere to compete with! Sheesh. Still, it was a must-do experience and I’m so glad we went.

Later in the evening we met Bryan back at his apartment and then headed out to a fun dinner at Maguey! Bryan is studying at Le Cordon Bleu culinary school in Paris, which is why he’s living there right now. Some of his professors recommended Maguey to him, so he took us with him to check it out.

When we arrived, we were given a menu with four adjectives on it (in French). We were told to pick two adjectives each, and then our menus would be created based on the words we chose. Cool! I picked convivial (friendly) and soyeux (silky).

My first dish was mushrooms with savory corn pancakes and some sort of sweet corn whipped cream on top. It was SO delicious! I especially loved the little corn pancakes.


Each dish also came with some sort of beverage, so while the boys’ dishes came with wine, mine came with whiskey! Yikes! As the waiter explained what was on each dish he mentioned that whiskey came “all the way from Pennsylvania in the USA” which I thought was pretty funny. 😉

Next up was my main dish: lamb with pistachios and hazelnuts in a pistachio puree with blackberries. I loved the unique flavors and components to this dish. So good!


This time I got a delicious red wine that was nice and earthy. The waiter told me to expect it to taste “leathery” (in a good way…) and he was so right!

Cheese plate intermission! We all split this course before dessert. Cheese plates, in Paris especially, are just the best thing ever. Gimme all the cheese! <3


Then it was time for dessert! I was surprised with a plate of fresh figs, merengue, and berry ice cream. Delicious!


I had a sweet dessert wine with this course which I usually don’t love, but this one paired perfectly with the lightly sweet dessert.

At the end of our meal our waiter brought over our menus so we could see everything that we had just had.


I absolutely loved the element of surprise with this meal, and I liked that the boys both had totally different meals as well. How fun! Definitely check out this restaurant if you’re looking for a fun meal experience in Paris.


Fabio and I didn’t have any plans until 1:00 pm on Saturday, so we took our time lounging around in the morning. I think the long trip was starting to catch up with us!

Finally we got ourselves together and headed down the street to grab something to eat. We had passed a bakery the day before that sold delicious-looking sandwiches on baguettes, so we gave that a try. I chose one with ham, tomato, lettuce, and mayo on it. Fabio captured my look of sheer joy after my first bite.


This was literally one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had – it was just so simple and delicious! Sigh. I need more of that bread.

After eating, Fabio and I made our way down to the Fountain Saint-Michel at 1:00 pm for another free walking tour! Fabio and I had so much fun doing the Sandeman’s free walking tour in Amsterdam that we decided to do it again in Paris!

We spent the next 2.5 hours exploring the beautiful city and learning so much about the history. Fabio and I had so much fun during our tour, and we both agreed that these tours are an absolute must-do in a new city. They are so informative!

The tour took us through the Latin quarter (which I always assumed was named for Hispanic/Spanish people, but is actually named that because of the international students who used to come study at the nearby Sorbonne university, where Latin was the common language everyone spoke. Cool!), Notre Dame, Pont Neuf, Louvre, Tuileries gardens, and more.


We once again had a fantastic time and I can’t recommend these tours enough! I feel so knowledgable about Paris now. 🙂


After our tour we checked into our Air BnB for the night (Bryan had some other friends in town on Saturday night). It was absolutely minuscule – seriously my freshman dorm room was bigger – but it was so cute and efficient! It had everything we needed!


At this point Fabio and I were feeling a little hungry again so we turned to recommendations left by our Air BnB hosts for a local bakery, cheese shop, sausage shop, and wine shop. Now that’s my kind of shopping. 😉


Snack time! Why can’t I eat like this every day?


Later in the evening we cleaned ourselves up and met up with Bryan, his two friends, and our friend Michelle who was randomly in town too for dinner! We went to Pershing Hall and it was the perfect location – great ambiance and food!


We ordered the appetizer sampler to share among the six of us – holy food platter!


Everything was fantastic. For my meal I ordered cod with a seaweed salad and it was SO. GOOD. Dare I say the best fish I’ve had in my whole life?


Seriously delicious.

After dinner we headed over to Andy Wahloo, a trendy bar that Bryan has been to a couple times before.


Once we got there we realized it was only two doors down from our Air BnB! Literally two doors! Talk about convenient! 🙂

The cocktails at this bar were phenomenal and I enjoyed an old fashioned with a chocolate spoon. Yes, a chocolate spoon.





On Sunday Fabio and I headed over to the Musee d’Orsay which I was really excited about. I’m a big fan of impressionist paintings so I couldn’t wait to check out my favorites! Since it was the first Sunday of the month admission was free, but the line was pretty long (we stood in line for about 45 minutes). Still, not too bad!

Housed in an old train station, the museum has some beautiful architecture and cool clocks.



Fabio and I spent almost an hour and a half walking all over the bottom two floors of the museum without seeing any of the famous impressionist paintings we were expecting to see (except Van Gogh, who we had just seen in Amsterdam).

Where was all the Monet? Finally we asked at the front desk and found out that all the paintings we wanted to see were housed on the fifth floor. Ah!


Finally we found what we were looking for and spent some time soaking in the beautiful works of Monet, Degas, Renoir, and more.


These are two of my all time favorite paintings!!

This Renoir painting also holds a special place in my heart; my grandma painted a copy of it and when I was little she used to tell me the blonde one was me and the brunette was my cousin, Sarah. I had to take a picture for her. 🙂


Such a great museum! Next time I think we’ll just head right up to the fifth floor and skip most of the downstairs. 😉

After our museum we grabbed a quick lunch (another croque monsieur only it’s called a croque madame because it had an egg on top. Funny.)…


…and then we enjoyed some crepes with nutella and banana for dessert! We ate them outside of an old church while a live band played music and little kids danced around. How Paris.


Later that evening we joined Bryan for dinner at the wine bar at L’Avant Comptoir, which was recommended to us by a bunch of people!


The L’Avant Comptoir restaurant is usually really crowded, but the standing-only wine bar is usually a little more manageable. We were able to get a spot at the bar without too much trouble.

At this restaurant, foods are featured on cards that hang on the ceiling!


To order we pretty much pointed at different foods and the bartender would bring them out to us. Everything was tapas-style (i.e., small plates) so the three of us were able to try a bunch of different foods!


Fresh mozzarella and pesto

One of my favorites was a savory waffle with ham on top.


I also had to try a fois gras macaroon! It was really good!


After our meal we walked off all our food by climbing the steep steps to get to Sacre Coeur!


Our 270-step climb rewarded us with breathtaking views of the city.


(I left my DSLR back in the apartment, so you’ll have to use your imagination.)

From there we each bought a small cup of gelatto and then sat back and enjoyed the view.


I can’t think of a better way to end our European vacation!


So fun! Ok, I’m ready to go back now! 🙂

Question of the day: Have you ever been to Paris? What was on your must-see list?

 Posted by on September 22, 2015
Jul 082013

Well, I’m back from gallivanting around the beautiful country of Italy. It was absolutely wonderful and I enjoyed every minute. I want to go baaaaaack!

That being said, there is something nice about sleeping in your own bed, snuggling up to your dog, and showering with an actual SHOWER CURTAIN (what’s with the weird half-doors that don’t block any water in Italy?)

Anyway, it’s kind of bittersweet to be home, but luckily I get to relive my vacation a bit by giving you guys a nice recap 🙂

Thursday night

I left work around noon on Thursday and quickly headed home to grab my bags and go to the airport. Our friend Keith (hi Keith!) picked us up (and watched Jack for us while we were away!! What a guy!) and before long we arrived at the airport.

After some lines at the checkin and security, we met my mom and stepdad at a restaurant near the gate where we enjoyed some pre-flight dinner and gin and tonics 😉

Then it was time to fly!

Despite a two hour delay on the runway (Fabio and I watched an entire movie before the plane even took off) the plane ride went smoothly and we slept a lot of the way. When we woke up, we were in Rome!

Friday morning

Our plane landed at 10:00 am (Italy time) and we didn’t waste any time wandering around! Our first stop was Trastevere to check out some old churches and enjoy some food (BTW- I’m saving all the food pictures for this week’s What I Ate Wednesday post, so that’s why they are mysteriously lacking).

Anyway, we wandered around an awesome church that had some really old inscriptions and drawings on the walls.


The inside of the church was gorgeous and made up of mostly mosaics. Can you imagine the patience these artists must have had to lay down all those teeny tiny tiles? Sheesh.


Then it was time for some refreshment! Fabio enjoyed quite the large beer, while the rest of us drank some good local Italian wine 🙂 There were a lot of this throughout the trip, which was just fine with me! Hey, it’s vacation!


Then it was time to get ready for dinner! Our hotel had a lovely terrace overlooking the Santa Maria Maggiore church.


We had a lovely dinner at our favorite place by the Pantheon and then went to bed early. I think we were all a little jet-lagged and sleepy from the long day.


Thanks to an early bed time the night before, Fabio and I woke up nice and rested on Saturday. Check out the morning view from our window!



Beautiful, no?

It was so amazing to wake up in the morning with a sight like that! It really made you want to jump out of bed!

Once we were up, Fabio and I went for a quick three-ish mile run around the city.


It was a great run, but of course Rome was “built on seven hills” so it was not easy. The whole first half was down-hill and lovely, until we turned right around and went back the way we came. Ugh. It was tough. However, there’s not much to complain about when you’re running in such a pretty city, hills or no hills.

After our run we showered up (without a shower curtain, as I mentioned) and had a quick breakfast on the terrace with my mom and stepdad. Then it was time to head out for the day!


Isn’t my mom super cute?

We hopped in a cab which took us over to the Capitoline Museums. I have now been to Rome three times, and each time we go we try to visit new museums and sites. I have loved every museum we have seen in Rome, and this one was no exception!


We met our tour guide, Wolley (spelling? It’s pronounced Volley) at the square and began our tour. Wolley has a contagious enthusiasm for art history and we loved having her guide us around the museum.




The museum also had a fabulous view of the forum, which I have never seen from this angle. It was breath-taking! I can’t imagine how the ancient Romans built such huge, beautiful, amazing buildings.


Fabio & me!


My mom & stepdad! They’re so cute 🙂


BTW- that’s the purse I bought for my mom 😉

We also got to see some beautiful works of art at the museum, including a couple Berninis which are my absolute favorite.



After spending a few hours at the museum, we had a nice lunch and then wandered over to Castel San Angelo to see if there was anything special going on for the St. Peter and Paul holiday. We didn’t see too much in the way of festivities, but it was a beautiful day to walk around the river and enjoy the sights.


Then we stopped for a bit of wine and enjoyed listening to a spontaneous accordion player!


So Italian.

After that we headed back to our hotel to get ready for dinner! seconddinner1   Aren’t my mom and stepdad so cute? seconddinner2 We wound up going to the Intercontinental Hotel for dinner, which is where we stayed last year when we went to Rome.  They have such a gorgeous terrace overlooking the city.seconddinner3 So pretty!  seconddinner4  They also had a live band, which my mom and stepdad enjoyed by dancing around the terrace. They just love to dance.seconddinner5  The sun set over the city and we had a lovely dinner together 🙂 seconddinner6  Then, to our delight, we got to see some fireworks from the terrace to celebrate St. Peter and St. Paul! It was gorgeous. seconddinner7  
 We had so much fun at dinner, that we decided to continue the night by heading to a dive bar near our hotel. The place was filled with a ton of younger twenty-somethings (like maybe between 19-22) so although Fabio and I sort of fit in (we were quite overdressed and a bit older) my mom and stepdad stood out like sore thumbs. That didn’t stop them however from staying out with us until super late and enjoying another bottle of wine, a shot of limoncello, and -gulp- a shot of jager. Yuck.


I totally regretted this decision the next day (especially since Fabio and I stayed out once my mom and stepdad left for the hotel) but it was a lot of fun. When in Rome!

Ok that’s it for part one of Rome! Next up- Naples and Amalfi!

Question of the day: How do you spend your vacations? In museums? Exploring the town? Going to bed early? Staying out late? As you can see, I like to do a bit of everything 🙂

 Posted by on July 8, 2013