Search Results : day in the life

Dec 072016

Hi friends! Happy hump day! I hope your week is going well so far.

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a day in the life post, and I always like reading how other people spend their days, so I thought it was time for a little update! Here’s a snapshot of my day last Wednesday.

5:55 – Alarm goes off. Hit snooze.

6:00 – Time to get up! Quickly brush my teeth, get dressed in workout clothes, put in contacts (this is relatively new for me – I used to just wear them on weekends), zip up my gym bag, and say goodbye to Fabio who, by the way, is still dead asleep.

6:15 – 6:30 – Take Jack for a walk. When I have enough time I let him run around off-leash at the park, but on this particular day I was running late so we just went for a regular walk. Sorry Jack! I make a vow to let him run around tomorrow.

When we get home I feed him, and then it’s out the door!

6:35 – 6:55 – Drive over to Flywheel in Dupont. Long-time readers will know that Flywheel is one of my favorite classes to take through ClassPass (<–affiliate link for $30 off!), but since we moved to Virginia I don’t take it as often as I used to. The drive over in the morning actually wasn’t too bad at all, and I make (another) vow to work this class into my schedule more often.

Arrive at Flywheel, grab a perfect parking spot, and almost forget to pay the meter. I am used to the 6 a.m. class when parking is free, and I’m constantly having to remind myself that it’s not free for the 7 a.m. class. Oy.

Run in with just enough time to drop my stuff off in a locker, find my bike, set it up the way I like it, and pedal a bit to warm up. Phew!

7:00 – 7:45 – Sweat my butt off at Flywheel. The class was led by a new-to-me instructor and she was really good! I loved her music and felt really energized the whole time. At the end of class my total power was 249, which is not a high or low score for me – it was right in the middle. I gave this morning workout two thumbs up!


Post-Flywheel sweaty selfie FTW

7:50 – 8:05 – Drive to work! I used to be all about the 6 a.m. classes so I could drive home after class, shower, eat breakfast at home, and then head into the office. Well, all of that worked great in our old apartment when Fabio and I would eat breakfast together and then walk to the metro together too, but now we are on totally different schedules. These days it’s not worth it to me to wake up an hour earlier just so I can shower at home and have breakfast (by myself). Luckily I have a shower at work so I take advantage of it at least a few times a week.

8:05 – 8:40 – Use the shower at work. Play Christmas music on my iPhone while I shower, and hope that you can’t hear it too much through the door. I don’t want my coworkers who might be using the bathroom to be freaked out by the weirdo playing Christmas music to herself in the shower room.


Finish up my makeup in the bathroom, and then walk to my desk with dripping wet hair. I’m lucky that it air dries well! 🙂

8:45 – 9:30 – Enjoy a hot mug of green tea while catching up on emails.


Then dig into breakfast for the day: two hard-boiled eggs with a banana. (One of the eggs is unpictured – I ate it before remembering to snap a pic!)


I like my eggs with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Yum!


1:15 – After a busy morning, I finally break into lunch! This day’s lunch was leftover Thai green curry from Blue Apron. The leftovers were lacking on some of the sweet potatoes since we had eaten most of them the night before, so I had tossed some white beans in there for added protein and sustenance. It was delicious and a nice change-up from my usual salad.


Rest of the afternoon – 5:45 – Like usual, work is busy, busy, busy. I had a ton of meetings and projects to get done, so I didn’t have time to eat my afternoon snack (an apple with some trail mix). That’s ok though because the day passed by in a flash. Phew!

5:50 – 6:08 – Drive home! I listen to a podcast in the car – I can’t remember which one but it was likely either Harry Potter and the Sacred Text, Young House Love Has a Podcast, or the Bon Appetit Foodcast – during my quick and easy commute. While I still prefer the metro to driving (I really miss my reading time!) I’ve found that driving really isn’t too bad since it’s so fast.

6:15 – 6:45 – Fabio arrived home around the same time as I did, so we take Jack on a longer walk together. This is one of my favorite parts of the day – even when the weather is crappy like it was this day – because we get to catch up on our days. 🙂

6:50 – 7:50 – Arrive home, give Jack a treat, and change into comfy clothes. Hooray!

We have another Blue Apron meal on the menu tonight (spinach and ricotta pizza, which I added bacon to because, why not?) and since those meals always take a while to make I get started right away. I forget what we did while I was cooking – sometimes we will play music and talk and other times we will have the TV on. I do know I did NOT have a glass of wine because I’m trying not to make it an every-night-of-the-week thing. So far I’ve been doing really well!

8:00 – 10:15 – Eat dinner. I forgot to take a picture of the whole pizza which is a really stupid blogger move. After dinner, we cleaned up and wrapped up the leftovers, and I finally remembered to take a picture.


The pizza was delicious!

After dinner, Fabio and I indulged in our favorite new (bad) habit: enjoying a couple of peppermint chocolate sandwich cookies from my friends over at Giant. These things are so delicious and so addicting! They pair perfectly with a glass of milk too.


I think they’re probably similar to the peppermint Jo Joes from Trader Joes, but I’ve never actually had those so I can’t say for sure. Anyway, they’re delicious!

Jack wanted in on the action too, obviously.


We wrapped up our evening on the couch while watching Shark Tank (we love that show). We’re not really binge watching anything right now, but we are looking to start something new. Any suggestions?

10:15 – Upstairs to bed! I read my kindle for a couple of minutes (I’m reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind for some reason – it’s different than my usual book selections but really interesting) and though I’m really enjoying my book I was exhausted from the day and only kept my eyes open for about 10 minutes before falling asleep.

The end.

Question of the day: What are you binge watching right now?

Disclaimer: Giant sent me the cookies for free, but this post is not sponsored in any way. All opinions are my own. 

 Posted by on December 7, 2016
Dec 102015

Hi friends! It’s been a while since I’ve written a Day in the Life post, so I thought I’d share one today. Here’s a look at yesterday, which was a typical weekday for me!

5:15 am: Alarm goes off. Today’s workout starts at 6:15, not 6:00, so I got to sleep in 15 minutes later than usual. Score! Snooze.

5:20 am: Ok. Time to get up. UGH. Throw on workout clothes, brush my teeth, and put my hair in a pony tail. Put Jack’s leash on and a coat, and head out the door!

5:40 am: Come back inside from walking Jack. I hate walking him when it’s cold and dark out. The fact that it’s so early doesn’t help; there’s no one else outside to say hello to and no other dogs to sniff. At least my podcasts keep me entertained. Feed Jack, fill up a water bottle, check that there’s water in the Christmas tree (that thing is a camel!!), and head out the door. Drive to today’s class, which is in Georgetown. Listen to Christmas music on the way so I can wake up. 🙂

6:10 am: Attempt to parallel park. Succeed…this time.

6:12 am: Arrive at the studio; today I’m taking a Metabolic Resistance Training class at Definitions with my friends Anne and Kathleen. Anne and I love this class, but Kathleen had never taken it before. We were excited for her to try it out! 🙂

We spent the next hour rotating among three stations, and completing a bunch of different exercises at each one. Some of the highlights included rowing, kettlebell swings, box jumps, wall balls, and frog jumps. There were a lot more too! The variety kept the workout interesting, and before you knew it we were all a sweaty mess.


Love this class!

7:15 am: Rush home. Hop in the shower. Enjoy a delicious breakfast of Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Kashi Go Lean Crisp (the cinnamon flavor), milk, and a banana.


Fabio eats a bowl with me and we watch the Today show. The Kashi cereal was a new purchase, and it’s been a delicious addition to my bowl. Yum. No fresh juice this morning, because we didn’t get around to making any this week. Womp womp.

8:15 am: Finish getting ready, and wait for Fabio to put on his shoes, coat, etc. etc. etc. Every morning he seems to take longer and longer to get out the door, and it’s now to the point where I will get his cell phone, wallet, keys, and headphones organized while I wait for him. Haha! Kiss Jack goodbye, and head out the door.

8:25 am: Walk to the metro with Fabio. I tend to use this time to remind him about things we have coming up or ask him about what’s going on with his schedule. Yesterday’s conversation involved when we were going to schedule our vet appointment for Jack and whether he plans to volunteer at the University of Maryland this weekend. It’s an exciting life we live, people. 😉

8:35 am: Kiss Fabio goodbye and hop on the metro. (He goes one way and I go another.) Read my kindle (I’m reading After You by Jojo Moyes) and realize I’m at the climax of the plot. I got totally sucked in by what happened, and almost missed my stop. Whoops! Listen to a podcast while I walk to the office.

9:00 am: Arrive at work, and drink a mug of hot green tea. Lately I’ve been using the cute “C” mug that my friend Jess got me for Christmas last year. Having a special mug makes me so happy.

12:30 pm: Work, work, work all morning. Take a break to eat lunch: leftover cabbage kielbasa soup that I had in the freezer (unpictured), plus a blueberry Chobani.


It had been forever since I’d eaten a Chobani – I got kind of sick of them a while back – and I forgot how delicious they are. Yum!

1:00 pm: Take a walk over to CVS with a few of my coworkers to pick up stamps for this year’s Christmas cards! They came out so cute and I can’t wait to mail them out. It was cold and foggy out – gross – but it felt good to walk around.

3:30 pm: After working through the afternoon, I took a break for a snack: half of a CLIF bar. Love those things.

5:00 pm: Time to go home! Woohoo! Walk to the metro with one of my coworkers, and talk to him until we get to my stop.

5:30 pm: Stop to pick up a package from our concierge on my way inside; we ordered a lot of stuff online in the last week so I’ve had to stop to pick up a package almost every day! Arrive home (the Christmas tree is still standing. Phew!), leash up Jack, and take him for a walk while talking to my dad on the phone. I let him run around off leash in a small field behind our apartment, but as soon as he started charging toward a raccoon that was near some trash cans (!!) I put him back on the leash. Nope, I am not dealing with that today.

6:15 pm: Take Jack inside and change into comfy PJs. It was cold out, so I grab some extra cozy ones. 🙂 Start working on this blog post.

7:15 pm: Fabio comes home (he went to a work happy hour today). I reheat a slice of quiche for both of us.


7:30 pm: We settle in to watch an episode of Sons of Anarchy while we eat dinner. We were actually in the process of watching this show back in January, but we called it quits after I started having nightmares. This show is so good, but SO gruesome! I haven’t had any nightmares since we picked it back up, and I’m crossing my fingers that it stays that way!

8:30 pm: Put dishes away (hooray for an easy clean up!) and finish this post.

9:30 pm: Head to bed early to watch Cutthroat Kitchen, Shark Tank, or some other crappy TV. 🙂 Goodnight!

Question of the day: What “crappy” TV shows do you watch?

 Posted by on December 10, 2015
Apr 222015

Hi friends! Happy hump day!

It’s been forever since I’ve written a day in the life post, and I always enjoy reading them on other people’s blogs, so let’s take a look at my Monday day-in-the-life style, shall we?


Linking up with Jenn and Meghan for What I Ate Wednesday too. 🙂 Thanks for hosting, ladies!

5:05 am – First alarm goes off. Snooze!

5:10 am – Second alarm goes off. Snooze one more time.

5:15 am – Ok, time to get up. Jack knows when I’m done snoozing, and instantly comes into the bedroom to tell me good morning. I use the bathroom, brush my teeth, and put on my workout gear I laid out the night before.

5:30 am – Take Jack for a walk. It’s raining, so I get wet and he gets muddy. I listen to a “How Stuff Works” podcast on the Paleo diet (read my podcast recommendations here) and learn that skim milk is very processed and not that good for you. Interesting, but not very helpful as I have a huge jug of skim milk in my fridge from Costco that needs to be used up. Womp womp. Maybe I’ll stop buying skim milk? What about all those extra calories in whole milk – worth it or not? I ponder all this while we walk.

5:42 am – Quickly towel off and feed Jack, pour water into my water bottle, and hit the road. It’s time for yoga!

5:56 am – Arrive at CorePower yoga in Georgetown, and have a terrible time parallel parking. (This is why I always make Fabio drive.) Run inside and check in, grab my weights, and roll out my mat. Once my mat is rolled out it’s 5:59 and the instructor gets started right away. Phew. Perfect timing.


7:01 am – Come out of savasana feeling great. This Sculpt class was really tough, and our instructor had us doing burpees, jumping jacks, and tuck jumps in the midst of our yoga practice (not that I could fully do all the high impact moves since I’m still recovering from foot surgery, but I did as much as I could). Head home looking sweaty and red. Awesome workout.


7:15 am – Arrive home (later than I would have liked – now I’ll have to rush) and chug a glass of fresh juice made with beets, pineapple, celery, cucumber, lemon, apple, and ginger. Yum. Quickly hop in the shower.


7:35 am – Eat a quick breakfast of Crispix cereal, Special K cereal, and a banana in skim milk while I let my hair air dry. Remember the podcast about the skim milk. Ugh.


7:50 am – Time to leave for work! Didn’t have time to try my hair – whoops! Say goodbye to Fabio (who is still sleeping) and Jack (who is looking for squirrels out the window) and walk over to the metro. Say good morning to the woman handing out the newspapers. Wonder where Vladamir, the trash guy that I usually say hi to, is today. Get on the train like I do every morning. Get excited when there’s a seat. Read my kindle and think about how much better my commute is going to be when we move to DC.

8:50 am – Arrive at work! It’s my turn to work on our organization’s weekly newsletter (my manager and I switch off weeks) so I work on that all morning. I send it off to my manager for review at 12:30, and then catch up on emails and other assignments.

1:45 pm – My manager and I have a working lunch date, so we take our notebooks and papers outside to the little deli across the street (it’s stopped raining, thank goodness). We both order the chicken Caesar salad wrap because it’s DELICIOUS. I love that the chicken is hot, the lettuce is cold, and the crutons in the wrap are crunchy. Perfection!

Old, recycled photo, but you get the idea.


3:00 pm – Finally make it back into the office (we wound up covering a lot of ground during our lunch meeting) and spend the rest of the afternoon preparing to ship materials to an upcoming conference. The materials include BMI wheels and posters about the importance of treating obesity, and will be given away for free to doctors at the conference. Even though getting them ready to go out is not my favorite task, I love what we’re doing. Being able to help doctors treat obesity is great! No snack today because I’m too busy.

4:45 pm – Time to go home! When I get outside I call Fabio, and we decide to meet at the dog park since it’s a nice afternoon. I spend another hour reading my kindle on the metro, and then get out at the Clarendon stop and walk over to the park. Jack runs right over to me when I get there, making me feel like a proud mom. 🙂

IMG_1149 (1)

6:45 pm – Arrive home and get dinner started. While the chicken is in the oven, I spend some time working on the blog and getting posts ready for the week. I take a little longer than usual, and Fabio whines that he’s hungry. Oops. Better get on with the cooking.

7:45 pm – Sit down to eat! Tonight’s dinner is oven “fried” chicken with curried quinoa and broccoli.


It’s delicious and Fabio and I both have no problem clearing our plates. While we eat, we watch the Game of Thrones episode that we missed on Sunday. So freakin’ good.

It’s thunder-storming out, which makes everything super cozy.

9:00 pm – Fabio turns on a baseball game and I read my kindle a bit. I dig into the chocolate frog my family brought me back from Disney World, and am sad to see I got a Salazar Slytherin card inside. Seriously? Come on, no wants him!


Bummer. Couldn’t I have gotten Nicholas Flamel or Viktor Krum or something??

10:15 pm – Head to the bedroom and lay out my workout gear for tomorrow (I’m taking another spin class at Revolve) and figure out what time I need to get up. Try to stay awake while reading. It doesn’t really work.

10:25 pm – Turn off my light and say goodnight to Fabio and Jack. Asleep in seconds.

Question of the day: What was the highlight of your Monday?

I’d have to say it was either my morning workout or my time at the dog park!

 Posted by on April 22, 2015
Jan 152015

Hi folks! It’s been a really long time since I’ve written a Day in the Life post, and now that I’m working from home post-foot surgery things have changed quite a bit with my routine. I’m sure my schedule won’t always look like this while I’m working from home, but until I get the go-ahead from my doctor to start walking again, thus meaning I can go back to work, this is probably what most of my days will look like.

Ready? Here’s what my day looked like yesterday.

5:30 am – My body wakes up, thinking it’s time to get up and work out. Nope, not anymore. Go back to sleep.

7:30 am – Can I really be allowed to sleep this late? This seems silly. I know I have half an hour still to lounge in bed, but I have a hard time falling back asleep. I pick up my phone and read some emails/peruse Instagram for a while, before eventually picking up my crutches from the floor and hobbling to the bathroom. From there I do my business, floss, and brush my teeth.

8:00 am –  I decide to eat my breakfast right away because my foot is hurting and I want to take my pain meds (I’ve learned that taking them on an empty stomach is a no-go). I’m almost weaned off my Vicodin, and now take just a half pill in the morning and before bed. I also am supposed to take three ibuprofen with breakfast, lunch, and dinner whether I think I need them or not, so down the hatch they go. I wash it all down with some water from my Camelbak water bottle that I have been lugging around everywhere, and a couple bites of chocolate chip banana bread that Megan brought over on Sunday. What a good friend. 🙂


Yum yum yum.

I do all of this while watching the Today Show crew introduce their new guiding eyes lab puppy. I’m acting basic because I can’t even.

8:15 am – It’s time for a workout! A couple days ago I dug around in my workout cabinet and found an old Pilates DVD that I didn’t think required too many standing-up movements. I change into workout gear (while wearing my fancy new iWalk hands-free crutch) and cross my fingers that I’ve found a workout I can do.

It’s not exactly Pilates gear, but I didn’t have the energy to dig through my drawers of workout clothes on one foot. It works.


8:25 am – Time for Pilates! I pop in the DVD and am pleasantly surprised to find that I can do almost all the moves in the DVD. They mostly involve laying on your back or sides, and as long as I modify a bit here and there I can do them all. WOOHOO! Best news ever.


After this my abs are dying. Ouch.

8:55 am – Hobble to the bedroom and bathroom to wash my face, change my clothes, and get ready for the day. (Showering is a whole separate issue, and I’ve decided that while I’m on one foot I’m probably going to shower every other day. Judge all you want, but I can’t get my foot wet OR put any weight on it, so I just don’t have the energy to attempt to wash myself every day. #DirtyLife)

9:05 am – Sit down at my makeshift work space and get to work. Fabio moved our iMac from the bookshelf to a TV tray so I can still prop up my foot and ice it while working. He’s the best. He leaves for work around this time (not dressed in sweats like in the photo below, that was right after he walked Jack, he looks handsome in a suit) and I kiss him goodbye.


9:06 – 11:00 am – Work, work, work. I took three sick days for my foot surgery, so there are a ton of emails to catch up on. While I work I prop up my foot and ice it on and off every 20 minutes. Sitting like this is pretty uncomfortable, and I’m feeling incredibly thankful that my job is letting me work remotely while I’m on crutches.

11:01 am – Put on my iWalk crutch and hobble around a bit. I make a pit stop to the bathroom, fill up my water bottle, and tidy up the living room a bit. Thank goodness for this crutch – I love being able to move around and still use my hands.

11:10 am – Back to work! I try to concentrate but really all I want to do is snuggle with this guy. He’s so good at taking care of me.


I work on a couple of interesting writing assignments that take my full attention, and before you know it it’s time for lunch.

1:05 pm – Heat up a bowl of chicken tortilla soup that I made last week in preparation for being off my feet this week. I added a bit of leftover rice from when our family friend Dan brought us Thai food on Monday. It’s spicy and delicious and I slurp up every bite. Plus pills on the side.


While I eat I watch What Not to Wear. I haven’t seen this show in forever and I forget how addicting it is. I try to mute it/turn it off at 1:30 so I can get back to work, but it only sort of works. I wind up half watching/half answering emails until 2:00. Womp womp.

2:00 pm –  TV is turned off – it’s back to work. Finish up the writing assignments I’m working on.


3:15 pm – Take a break to snuggle with this guy. What a ham.


Turn on Ellen to have playing in the background. I love Ellen and am hoping I can multitask by doing work and listening, but it only sort of works. I wind up missing most of Ellen and also slow down on my work progress. Fail. When Ellen is over, I turn the TV back off and keep working.

4:55 pm – Send one last email, then decide I’m allowed to be done for the today. Technically I’m supposed to work until at least 5:00, but what’s five minutes?!

4:56 pm – Put the iWalk back on, and hobble around a bit to clean up my work station, grab my kindle, refill my water bottle, etc. Jack follows me and brings me every single toy he owns. (That’s a lie, it’s probably only half, but holy cow when did he get so many toys?)

5:00 pm – Turn on the news and read my kindle on the couch with Jack for a while. Fall asleep for a little, which is glorious.

5:39 pm – Jack tells me Fabio is home. Woohoo! He comes in and we are both happy to see him. Fabio tells me about his day then takes out Jack. I’m feeling like a huge lazy bones, but I don’t know what else to do. Ugh. This is going to be a long month on crutches.

6:00 pm – My boys are back! I ask Fabio to bring me a snack and am rewarded with a mini Babybell cheese. Delish. I start this post.

6:35 pm – Fabio’s coworker Torin comes over because they have some work they need to finish up. I get distracted talking to them and this post winds up taking longer than usual. They get to order dinner and expense it to their company, so they ask if I want to order with them. Heck yes I do. We go over delivery menus and decide on Chinese. I was hoping for something a little healthier but I am overruled.

7:35 pm – Dinner is here! We devour Chinese while watching Shark Tank. Not a bad way to spend a Wednesday night.

photo (35)

8:00 – 9:00 pm – Hang out with Fabio and Torin in the living room while they continue working. I putz around on Instagram for a while, read some blogs on my phone, and LOL more than once from a group text I’m in with my best friends from home. I think the boys thought I was a little crazy for laughing out loud by myself. 😉

9:05 pm – Say goodnight to the boys and head to the bedroom to read. When I get in there, I see that Jack is laying under the covers with his head on a pillow like a person.

photo (36)

Oh, with his tongue out. What did you expect?

photo (38)

We snuggle together and I read my Kindle for a while.

photo (37)

10:35 pm – I wind up finishing the book I’m reading – The Invention of Wings – and feel that sense of sadness that comes with the completion of a good book. Luckily my friends from home (the ones I was LOLing about earlier) gave me a ton of good books in a care package they dropped off earlier this week, so now I can browse through the stack and pick a new one. I’ll save that for tomorrow though. For now I turn on the TV (Restaurant Impossible) and try to fall asleep.

10:45 pm – Torin leaves and Fabio comes into the bedroom. I ask him to turn the rest of the lights off because I’m crippled and couldn’t do it myself. He giggles at my helplessness but obliges. He comes to bed and I whine a bit about how much my foot is hurting and how annoying it is not to be able to do anything. He reminds me that this surgery was worth the pain, and that I’ll have a long happy life without any foot pain soon. He brings me half a Vicodin for the pain and a bite of brownie to wash it down. What a guy.

11:00 pm  – Sleep.

Question of the day: If you have a pet, do they have any weird sleeping habits?

 Posted by on January 15, 2015
May 022013

Hey there people! Happy Thursdayyyyyy 😀 I am in a fantastic mood this morning for no particular reason and it feels great. Don’t you just love days like that?

Ok so it’s time to announce the winner of Wednesday’s giveaway! Thank you so much to everyone who entered! You guys were really excited about those boxes 😉 I used to pick a winner from the comments. And the winner is…

Number 31, Samantha!

Samantha, please send your shipping address to so I can send the information to Bestowed Box. Also, to everyone who didn’t win but is still interested in receiving a box, don’t forget you can get $5 off your order by using the code 5OFFBSTOWED01 at checkout. It sounds like a great deal to me!

A Day In The Life

Earlier this week, Caitlyn from City & The Cubicle left me a sweet comment on my Weight Loss Story. She had never commented before (I don’t think…) and her comment inspired me to pop on over to her blog to see what City & The Cubicle was all about. Upon reading the first post I saw, A Day in the Life, I was hooked by her witty sense of humor and clever idea for a linkup.

In that post Caitlyn claims that her life is super boring and that she was sure no one would link up, but I liked the idea and wanted to prove her wrong. I think everyone likes reading about a day in the life of someone else! So, without further ado, here’s a day in the life of me 🙂

6:25 am: My Sleep Cycle alarm goes off, which either means I’m in the “lightest” cycle of my sleep or I’m all out of time. It’s usually the latter. I hit ignore and go back to sleep.

6:45 am: My “real” alarm starts going off, but I know I still technically have fifteen more minutes. I hit ignore and go back to sleep. Repeat every five minutes until 7:00.

7:00 am: My actual real alarm goes off, which has a different noise than the other one. I’m pathetic, I know. Jack has learned the difference in these alarms, so when the real one goes off (it’s super loud and obnoxious) he jumps on top of me and licks my face. Thanks, Jack. Good morning to you too.

7:03 – 7:12 am: Attempt to wake up my brain by catching up on everything on my phone. I usually look at my Sleep Cycle (to see if I’ve slept well or not so I can decide whether it’s appropriate to be feeling as tired as I am), check the weather, read my horoscope (this is a new habit! Thanks a lot Megan and Vic…), check Facebook, Instagram, and whatever else I can do to prolong the actual start of my day.

7:13 am: Jack is usually whining constantly by now for me to take him outside. I throw on sweatpants and flip flops and toss my hair into a messy bun. Jack runs around frantically until I get the leash out. Then he sits patiently at the door because he knows I won’t put the leash on him until he sits. Good boy.

7:15 am: Jack barrels down the stairs of our apartment and I pray that no one is in the hallway lest 1) he pounces on them in joy or 2) they see me in my full beautiful morning glory. I open the door and Jack runs outside with varrying levels of enthusiasm, depending on the number of squirrels he sees.

7:16 – 7:26 am: We walk around the neighborhood, Jack stopping to pee every few seconds (on all the plants that have signs saying “Keep pets off” while I yank on his leash and tell him to get out of the recently-mulched rose bushes). I listen to Harry Potter on audio book and enjoy the sunshine. This task is a whole lot less enjoyable in the snow and rain.

7:27 am-7:45 am: Head back inside. Jack dances around his food dish until I fill it up. Then I brush my teeth and hop in the shower.

7:46 am-7:57 am: Dry off. Wear comfy white bathrobe that I got for free from work one day last year (weird, I know). Head to the kitchen for breakfast- usually cereal and a banana. Turn on the Today Show. Watch until the local news comes on, which tells me that I’m running late. Oops.

7:58-8:26 am: Continue getting ready while watching the Today Show. I usually bother Fabio at some point, who is still sleeping, by asking him if my outfit looks ok. He grunts. I continue getting ready until the local news comes on again. Time to leave! Force Jack to lick my face (“Give me a kiss. Come on. Jack, just lick me. Jaaaaack. Just a small one. Ok. Thank you. Have a good day.”) and then say bye to Fabio. Grab my bagged lunch, head outside and wave to Fabio and Jack from the window.

8:26-8:55 am: Listen to Harry Potter audio book. Walk to the metro. Have a conversation with the newspaper manwoman (no really, I can’t tell what gender this person is and I see him/her every day) that goes like this…

“Express?” [while he/she holds a newspaper in my direction and smiles]

“No thank you.” [smiling back]

“Have a good day [or weekend, if it’s Friday].” [still smiling]

“You too.” [smile and walk down escalator]

Squeeze onto a packed metro car. Try to hold on to something. Feel excited if I’m lucky enough to stand by a vertical pole. Otherwise I stand on my tip toes and attempt to hold the overhead railing. Try to ignore the feeling of being squashed and rubbed by strangers on every side. Open my kindle, read for 6 minutes until it’s time to get off the metro. Hope my SmartTrip card works, since it can be finnicky. Listen to Harry Potter some more. Walk three blocks to work.

8:56 – 9:25 am: Arrive at work. Check urgent emails. If it’s a bad day, respond to emails instantly and jump right into assignments. If it’s a good day, drop off lunch in the kitchen, pour a huge glass of ice water, and catch up on blogs.

9:26 am-12:16pm: Begin working for real. Procrastinate a little in between projects. Keep working. Go to a meeting. Keep working. Read a Buzzfeed article that my coworker sent me. Send it to all my friends. Watch videos of puppies trying to walk down stairs. Keep working.

12:17 pm-1:17 pm: Lunch time! Walk to kitchen for my lunch. Take a photo if it’s Tuesday. Eat lunch. Read blogs. Write that day’s blog post.

1:18 -5:42 pm: Begrudgingly get back to work. Take a break after a few minutes to eat three Hershey kisses. Get back to work. Go to another meeting. Send a bunch of emails. IM my coworkers. G-chat my friends. Work. Work. Work. Walk to CVS for an errand or grab froyo with coworkers if it’s someone’s birthday or the weather is particularly nice.  Drink some green tea. Eat an apple. Do all of these things. Do none of these things (it varries).

5:42 – 6:35 pm: Enter my time in billable 15 minute increments. Try to remember what I did all day. Log off my computer. Put on headphones and listen to Harry Potter audio book while walking down the stairs (I never take the elevator). Walk back to the metro. Squeeze back onto the crowded metro car. Try to avoid the fat guy’s armpit in my face. Open kindle. Read for 6 minutes. Put on Harry Potter audio book again. Get anxiety about my Smart Trip card holding up the line of people behind me trying to exit. Feel the shame of people going around me, or the thrill of making it through the turnstile on the first try. Walk home. Greet Jack and/or Fabio (if he’s home) and join them for a walk if Fabio hasn’t already taken Jack out.

6:36-7:36 pm: Eat a pretzel stick with hummus and try to prolong my run. Eventually put on running clothes. Put on Harry Potter audio book, again. Start running. Go to Georgetown if it’s three miles. Run along the water if it’s four. Go to the gym and grumble if it’s raining.

7:37-8:15 pm: Start making dinner. Ask Fabio to abandon his cell phone game, Clash of Clans, or the baseball game on ESPN to help me chop the veggies. Catch up on our day. Continue making dinner. Ask Fabio to get the plates down and pour our waters.

8:16 – 9:00 pm: Find something good on TV to watch while eating dinner. Snap a photo of my food, just in case I need it for the blog. Say prayers (“Bless us oh Lord, and these thy gifts, which we are about to receive, from thy bounty, through Christ, Our Lord. Amen.” -the prayer we both learned growing up. “Bless this food to our use and us to thy service” – the prayer my stepdad said when I was growing up. “Thank you for Jack, and our home, and each other. And please help grandpa to get better” -our own thing. Amen.) on varrying levels of speed depending on how excited we are to eat (lol I can’t believe I’m admitting this). Eat dinner. Continue watching TV, usually Dexter, Shameless, Game of Thrones, Homeland, or something on regular TV (The Voice, Biggest Loser, The Bachelor, etc).

9:16-10:37 pm: Once the show ends, do dishes and clean up from dinner. Make lunches. Debate watching more TV. Decide to move to the bedroom. Fabio will put on a baseball game or something and I will probably read. Once the clock approaches 10:30, I put my kindle down and try to watch whatever Fabio has on TV. Fall asleep.

Phew! Now you know more about me than you probably ever wanted to lol. Sorry about that! But it was fun writing it all out and maybe some of you can relate to pieces of it.

I’d love to read other people’s “A day in the life posts” so feel free to visit Caitlyn and participate in her linkup!

Question of the day: What’s the weirdest thing you do every day?

 Posted by on May 2, 2013
Nov 032017

Hi friends! How’s everyone doing today? It’s been a couple of weeks since I posted a recap from our wedding (which was all the way back in June – oops, where did the time go?) so I thought I’d round back with another one today. If you’ve missed any of my recaps so far, you can find them all here!

When we last left off, I had just finished celebrating a beautiful rehearsal dinner, complete with lots of drinking and dancing with friends late into the night. Luckily I drank lots of water before bed, because we had an early wake-up call for yoga!

Because fitness is such an important part of my life and is something that really helps me feel grounded, I knew I wanted to incorporate some sort of physical activity into my wedding day. I thought about going for a run, but then I thought an outdoor yoga class along the water might be more peaceful and help me get in the right mindset for the big day.

I did some research on local yoga studios on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and wound up booking a class with Phyllis from Every Body Yoga. Having her come to the hotel property for a one-hour class cost $150 (plus tip) and she even brought some yoga mats with her for people to use. Phyllis was great to work with for this, and before the big day she asked me how long of a class I wanted and if I wanted it to be more of a workout or something a bit more calming. I chose a one-hour class that was more on the calming side, and it wound up being one of the highlights of my day! (Though looking back, there were so many highlights. Ha!)

The class started at 7 a.m. on the River House lawn of the hotel, and when I got out of bed and stepped outside I saw that we had a beautiful day on our hands. 🙂 Thank goodness!!

My dad was up early too and took all these beautiful photos for us! I love seeing the venue before all the fun ensued.

While we didn’t have a huge turnout of guests for the yoga class, we had a nice little group!

In addition to Fabio and me, we had my maid of honor/stepsister Maggie, her boyfriend Nick, one of my best friends/bridesmaids Hana, and two of Fabio’s friends, Jason (also a groomsman) and Dan.

Phyllis set us up in a nice spot overlooking the river, and then we went through a very slow and calming yoga practice that was good for all levels. (My dad walked over at this point and grabbed these photos for us!)

One of the best things about Phyllis’ class is that she really encouraged us to be present in the moment. At one point we were all lying on our backs on our mats in the dewy grass and she told us to just be still and listen. Listen to our breath, listen to the birds chirping, and listen to the river flowing nearby. She encouraged us to clear our minds in preparation for the day ahead so we could really be present and remember every moment of the day. It was exactly what I needed with a million “to-dos” running through my head, and I felt so happy that we chose to have Phyllis come teach this class for us.

At the end of class (after svasana), she did something really special for us: She had Fabio and me hold hands, and told everyone to form a tight circle around us. She then told everyone to vigorously rub their hands together until they started to get warm. Once they were generating heat, she told everyone to separate their hands a few inches so they could feel the warmth they had made. Then she told everyone to rub their hands together again, and then face their palms toward Fabio and me in the center of the circle so that we’d feel all their warmth. She said a couple of words to us about how everyone standing around us was wishing the best for our us, both for the big day ahead and for our marriage, and that they were sending us their postive energy through the heat in their hands. I honestly got a little emotional at this point and thought I might cry – it as just such a wonderful and thoughtful way to start off such a big day.

After that, we said goodbye to Phyllis (seriously, she was worth every penny!!) and then since we had a few minutes before we needed to head into breakfast, we all walked down to the dock so my dad could take us on a boat ride! My mom happened to be down by the dock at this point too, so she joined us. 🙂 So many of my favorite people!

Being on the calm water so early in the morning on such an important day felt so great. I was surrounded by so many people I love and just felt so incredibly happy and at peace. (Also super excited for the day ahead!)

After a quick ride around the Wye River and Chesapeake Bay, we were back at the dock. While we were waiting to get off, my MoH/stepsister Maggie helped keep me from falling into the water. That’s what Maids of Honors are for! 🙂

And then we were back on dry land!

From our boat ride we headed into the River House dining area where we met up with the rest of our crew for breakfast. Yay! I’m sure it was probably taboo to see so many of our wedding guests on the morning of the wedding – not to mention seeing Fabio, lol – but clearly I didn’t take any that too seriously.

I had a fun morning saying hello to everyone and grabbing some breakfast before it was time to head to the bridal suite to get ready. Eek!

Question of the day: What do you think about those old bridal traditions like not seeing the groom beforehand?

 Posted by on November 3, 2017
Oct 112017

It’s 7:51 p.m., and I just got home from work (well – I came home from work, immediately changed into pjs, and then sat down to write this post). Life is super busy right now, and though I’m enjoying it, it doesn’t leave a whole lot of time for the old blog here.

Take yesterday for example. I work, work, worked until 5:45 p.m., and then I joined my coworkers for a kickboxing class at UFC Gym (maybe you remember the last time I went there? Probably not – it was ages ago!). Anyway, the hour-long class started at 6:30 p.m. and it was 20 minutes away in Alexandria so I didn’t get home until around 8. Then our friend Ciro came over to watch the Yankee game with Fabio, and then there was no way I was going to sit down and write a blog post. Or cook a healthy dinner. We wound up with Subway, which could have been worse I suppose.

Then there was today (Tuesday). I took a bootcamp class at Body Mass Gym with my friends Anne and Kathleen in the morning, and then headed into work for another completely manic day. It was go-go-go all day long, with lots of meetings to attend and deliverables to complete. Now I just got home and have to make dinner, and then I just want to relax!

I know I shouldn’t complain–I have a really interesting job and I get to work on really cool stuff. American Diabetes Month is coming up in November, and my coworker Carly and I are in charge of planning and executing the entire campaign. It’s sooooo much work for just two people to tackle, but it’s super rewarding and interesting! (I’m sure you’ll hear more about it here starting in November when I write about it. 🙂 You all are such good sports for humoring me on that stuff.)

But I just hate that right now this hectic schedule of mine doesn’t leave me with a ton of brain space–or time–for creative/fun writing here on the blog. But that’s just the way it is right now, and I know in a couple of weeks my schedule will be back to normal.

For now I’m just continuing to do the best I can to keep the rest of my life balanced, namely with exercise. I find that when I’m stressed, working out can be like therapy for me and helps me set the day off on the right foot. When I skip a day of working out, I feel more sluggish and blah for the whole day. Working out just helps me feel sane and normal right now, which is exactly what I need!

I will say my diet hasn’t been super amazing lately – I’m eating all the healthy meals that I planned and prepped for myself over the weekend, but I’m also stress-eating. Mostly delicious, sweet, sugary carbs. When they’re available. And when I have time for snacks. Which actually, hasn’t been all that often during the day. But that doesn’t mean I’m not craving them!

Anyway, I guess all of this is a really long-winded way of saying that I have quite a bit going on right now, and I apologize for not having a super interesting post for you today. And, no pictures. Womp womp. I’ll try to get my act together to have something better on Friday, but if I wind up not popping in, you’ll know why.

Until next time, my friends!

Question of the day: Do you stress eat?

 Posted by on October 11, 2017
Sep 292017

On Wednesday this week, I celebrated my 28th birthday! It was a really perfect day, and it started off with an awesome sweat session with Anne and her friend Kath at SweatBox!

I’d heard about SweatBox a few months ago from someone else who had tried it out, and I was immediately intrigued! Then when a PR rep emailed me last week about trying a class, I couldn’t say yes fast enough. Sign me up! It didn’t hurt that I’d be trying the class on my birthday either. 🙂

SweatBox is located on U Street in the same building as the VIDA gym (you can even use VIDA’s showers!). The format of the class is very unique – the space is split up into different “boxes,” each of which has its own spin bike, weights, and TRX.

You are able to complete the whole workout without ever leaving your box, which is great because you don’t waste time moving from one station to another or swapping out equipment. You also wear heart rate monitors for the workout and get to see your stats on the screen, which is always a big motivator for me.

We wound up completing a whole bunch of different circuits that incorporated sprints on the bike, jumping lunges, chest presses, bicep curls, burpees, and more. It was definitely a full body workout! I really liked the music too.

I really enjoyed SweatBox and thought it was a perfect way to kick off my birthday. 🙂

The rest of my morning was fairly uneventful (I had my free Starbucks coffee and enjoyed some cottage cheese + blueberries at my desk) and then around 11 a.m. my phone rang. The receptionist told me she had some Georgetown cupcakes for me at the front desk, which naturally sent me scurrying from my seat to retrieve them. It turns out they were from Fabio!! I have the best husband. 🙂

I waited until after lunch time to open them up, at which point I enjoyed a chocolate one with vanilla cream cheese frosting and set aside a chocolate peanut butter one to take home.

I put the rest of the cupcakes on the shared countertop in my office so the rest of my team could enjoy them, and they were gone in minutes. They were a huge hit!

A little while later my phone rang again, and this time it was flowers!

These were from my amazing best friend, Bianca! They are so beautiful and the lilies smell especially great. Everyone who walks past my desk comments on them!

Then – and I think I got a bit annoying at this point – my phone rang a third time, this time with an edible arrangement from my dad! I think the receptionist was ready to kill me. 🙂

I shared these with my team too, so even people who missed out on the cupcakes were able to enjoy some sugary birthday treats.

At the end of the day, my coworkers surprised me with a card and a gift certificate to SweetGreen! They know me so well. 🙂

I had such a great day at work, and everyone kept coming over to wish me a happy birthday and comment on all my goodies. 🙂 I know I’m incredibly lucky to have so many wonderful people in my life!

When I got home, I had a package from Aunt CC and Uncle Steve! Inside was a gift certificate to Lululemon and a beautiful Kate Spade necklace. Woohoo! Thank you, CC and Steve!

Then after walking Jack, Fabio poured me a glass of wine and we sat on the couch chatting for a while before it was time for a birthday celebration dinner.

I knew Fabio had made reservations somewhere but didn’t know where we were headed. When it was time to leave, we hopped in the car and headed to…Filomena! I’d only been to Filomena once a very long time ago, and even then I’d only been for happy hour and hadn’t had a chance to enjoy their famous handmade pasta. Fabio and I both love Italian food, so it was a perfect choice! Good thing he made a reservation too – it was packed! But we had a nice little table for two to ourselves.

We started our meal with some bread and a bottle of wine, and then placed our orders before it was time for me to open my card. It had glitter and puppies on the front, so obviously he picked a good one. 🙂

Inside there were two tickets to see the Book of Mormon at the Kennedy Center in November! I always love “experience” gifts, and I was really excited about this one. I can’t wait!!

Soon our appetizer of fried mozzarella arrived…

…and then my entree came! I got one of the specials which was a kind of pasta/sweet Italian sausage roll-up, and it was SO good!

Everything was delicious (so fresh! so flavorful!) but there was so. much. food.

We both wound up with leftovers and I was too full to even order any birthday dessert. That’s how you KNOW I was full!

Before we left, our waiter brought over some amaro and sambuca to enjoy, along with some coffee beans for flavor (as if a bottle of wine wasn’t enough! Plus since Fabio drove I drank my fair share for sure. Oof!).

Fabio and I had such a wonderful evening talking, laughing, and enjoying the delicious food and drinks. What a perfect birthday dinner!

We even grabbed a photo with some of the Halloween decor on our way out. 🙂

When we got home I spent some time tinkering around downstairs, and just when I was about to head upstairs Fabio pulled out the cupcake that I had brought home from work earlier with a lit candle on top. He then proceeded to sing happy birthday to me in the kitchen. 🙂

I don’t know how, but he seriously caught me off guard with this – I feel like one minute I was talking to him about something and the next he had already sneakily gotten the candle and lighter from the drawer, opened the fridge, put the candle on the cupcake, and lit it. Maybe the wine had something to do with how surprised I was by this?

Either way, it was super cute and spontaneous, and I love that he thought to do this. (Even though both of us were too full to eat the cupcake – we wound up putting it back in the fridge! Ha!).

Overall it was the absolute perfect birthday, and I wouldn’t have asked for anything different. It was very clear to me that I have so many wonderful people in my life, and I went to bed feeling so thankful for all of them. <3

Question of the day: Experience gifts or regular gifts?

 Posted by on September 29, 2017
Aug 102017

Hey friends! I’m dropping by today with six random things that are on my mind. 🙂

1. We are heading out of town again this weekend, this time for another fun weekend getaway up at Aunt CC and Uncle Steve’s place in Otis, MA. It’s a long, 6.5 hour drive, but it’s always so fun once we get up there. We have a couple of friends joining us this time, so I wanted to bring a couple of treats up with us so CC and Steve don’t spend the whole weekend slaving away over food. I wound up making this Mediterranean Farro Salad and this Lemon Blueberry Bread. The lemon blueberry bread in particular looks amazing, and I can’t wait to dig into it! Woohooo!! Otis weekends are the best.

2. Our wedding pictures are ready!!!!! Eeek!! I got the email from our photographer in the middle of the work day, and it was all I could do not to tear through them right away. Luckily I waited until I got home so Fabio and I could enjoy going through them together. They came out so beautifully and now I’m trying to figure out what to do with them all! I’m thinking I’ll wait until Shutterfly or one of those sites has a sale, and then I’ll make some albums for family and order a few prints. Any recommendations? Here’s one sneak peek for you guys…

3. And now that our wedding pictures are ready, I can get working on the wedding blog recaps! I still have one last honeymoon post to write, and then I’ll dive into all things wedding. It was such a fun, magical weekend, and I want to make sure I capture it all perfectly! It’s going to take some time, but I can’t wait to share it with you all.

4. Speaking of blog posts, I’m finding it harder and harder to find the time to sit down and write here on CET. Work and life have both been really busy, and I’ve always wanted writing in this space to be something I look forward to doing, or get to do, and I don’t ever want it to feel like an obligation. Some days I think, “Oh man, I have to get a blog post up today,” and then I think, “Wait, I don’t have to do anything.” I’m not planning on changing my posting schedule drastically or anything like that, but I wanted to let you guys know how I was feeling and just give you a heads up that some days there might be a post, and some days there might not. That’s just sort of how life is working out for me right now.

5. We didn’t make it to the grocery store last weekend, so our dinners have sort of been all over the place. We used up a lot of random produce we had in the fridge from last week, and I’ve made a bunch of weird thrown-together meals that actually came out pretty tasty. Last night, for example, I made us a pasta dish with leftover roasted carrots, corn salad, and Peruvian chicken, and somehow it all tasted great together once I mixed up a random dressing to tie it all together. Hey, whatever works!

6. Workouts have been pretty good so far this week, with a short run on Monday, a spin class at FlyWheel on Tuesday, a sculpt class at CorePower yoga on Wednesday, and a bootcamp class at Urban Athletic Club planned for tomorrow (it’s Wednesday as I write this). Plus I’m sure I’ll probably get in some fun activities this weekend in Otis as well!

Aaaaand there you have it – six random thoughts in my head this morning. I hope you all have a wonderful Thursday!

Question of the day: What’s your dinner go-to when you haven’t been to the grocery store?

 Posted by on August 10, 2017
May 152017

Hi friends! How was your weekend? For all the mamas out there, did you have a nice Mother’s Day?

Fabio and I spent pretty much the entire weekend running errands for the wedding, and while I’m not sure it could be called “fun” exactly, I tried to stay present in the moment and remember that I’m going to miss all this wedding planning once it’s over. Here’s a look back!


Our Friday evening began with a few errands – we stopped by Michael’s to pick up some mason jars, a flower girl basket, and a couple of other little craft supplies for the wedding, and then we stopped by Ross where we purchased some new suitcases for our honeymoon. 🙂

Fabio’s is Nautica and mine is Samsonite (both are carry-on size), and both of them were a real steal at less than $75. Woohoo!

When we got back home, we dug into some dinner that I threw together: chicken parm burgers and roasted veggies. Dinner = done.

It was delicious too!

We spent the rest of the evening watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix, which is SO good. If you’re looking for a new show to binge-watch, try that one!


Saturday was a cold and dreary day, and Fabio and I got to sleep in until around 8:30 before eventually crawling out from under the covers. We were dog-sitting our neighbor’s dog Cassie over the weekend, so we took her and Jack for an extra wet walk outside.

She’s such a cutie!

Jack was happy to have her there too. 🙂

Then Fabio made us some breakfast of Colombian arepas with ogado (a sort of tomato/onion sauce) and coffee. Yum!

After we ate, it was time to tackle some crafting activities, namely tieing ribbons around our mason jars so they can hang from shepherd’s hooks during the wedding ceremony, and decorating the flower girl basket.

As soon as we were done, Fabio and I cleaned ourselves up and headed out for an appointment with our wedding coordinator.

I can’t remember if I mentioned this on the blog or not, but our old wedding coordinator left on medical leave at the beginning of March, and it now looks like she won’t be coming back. After talking to the new coordinator on the phone last week for more than an hour, we thought a face-to-face meeting might be helpful. It turns out it was – we wound up talking with her for more than two hours to go over everything! We literally had to start at square one which was exhausting and frustrating, since our old coordinator already had all of that knowledge. Hopefully things are where they need to be now.

After that, we drove another 45 minutes away to drop off the mason jars and flower girl basket at our florist’s shop, before heading back toward home to meet up with my family at the Outback in Annapolis for dinner. Phew!

The dinner was to celebrate my sister’s 12th birthday and Mother’s Day, and it was so nice to spend time with family after a somewhat stressful day.

I got the steakhouse salad for my meal, which was delicious despite some giant chunks of onion that could have been sliced a little smaller.

After we ate, the birthday girl got a slice of cheesecake! 🙂

I can’t believe how big she is these days. Where did my little sister go?!


Sunday was another day full of wedding-related activities! Fabio played golf in the morning while I worked on some thank you cards from our shower, and when he got home we spent the rest of the afternoon shopping for items for the hotel welcome bags, after party, etc. etc. etc.

We also hit up the grocery store, and by the time we were done with all our errands it was after 7 p.m. *sigh*

We did stop for some ice cream during the day though, and it honestly was kind of fun spending so much one-on-one time with Fabio. Even the most annoying tasks are better when we’re together!

Anyway, that’s about it for my weekend – lots of wedding tasks that I can now cross off the to-do list. I wish I could say I’m feeling relieved after doing all that, but there’s still so much more to get done!

To all the mothers out there, I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day!

Question of the day: Did you celebrate Mother’s Day?

 Posted by on May 15, 2017