This year was another amazing one for me, and I had so much fun putting together this post of my top 15 memories from the year. I had a lot of pretty big milestones this year, which I made sure to include in my list. Without further ado, here’s a countdown of my top 15 moments of 2015!
15. Having a membership with ClassPass. Although I dabbled with ClassPass late last year, I really got into it more this spring and definitely took full advantage of it. For most of the year, I worked my way from studio to studio and took a ton of different fitness classes. I discovered a lot about myself through this process, and got a lot more comfortable trying new workouts on my own. I also fell head-over-heels in love with spinning, which I never would have expected! I didn’t wind up running much this year (no races at all!) but that was ok since I was getting fit in a new way (also recovering from foot surgery, which I’ll talk more about below). I’m hoping to run more races in 2016, but I’m also not going to be upset if I don’t. I’m just doing what makes me happy right now!
14. Taking care of my health in important ways. This year I did two big things to take care of my health, and not in the usual eating well/exercising ways. First, in January, I had surgery on my foot to correct a painful bunion I was born with. I always knew I would need the surgery someday, and I’m glad I got it out of the way this year so my foot won’t hurt me again.
Of course the surgery itself was definitely not a highlight of the year, but having a fully functioning foot that allows me to live my life pain-free is.
Plus I got to look like a pirate on a peg-leg for a month or two, so that was cool. 😉
Then in July, I got Invisalign to straighten out my smile. I had relatively straight teeth before, but I wasn’t really happy with how my teeth were moving around and I felt like the few crooked ones were getting more and more noticeable. I decided to bite the bullet and pay for the treatment, and by the end of November I was smiling with straight teeth!
13. Spending a fun weekend with friends in the Poconos. This was just one of those weekends that I look back on and can’t help but smile. I remember finally being out of my boot post-surgery, and just being so happy to spend so much time with good friends.
I’m going to be seeing a lot of these faces again for New Years, and I’m so excited!
12. Traveling to Colombus, Ohio, for Eric and Lyndsay’s wedding. This wedding felt like a mini-vacation, and Fabio and I had a great time exploring the new-to-us city and hanging out with friends we don’t see very often. The wedding guests included some of our best friends from college (mostly from Fabio’s fraternity), and it was so much fun reuniting with them.
11. Moving to DC. Of course this list wouldn’t be complete without mentioning our move from Arlington into DC! Fabio and I lived in our Arlington apartment for 3.5 years, so this was a big switch for us! We love our new apartment a lot, even though of course there are things about Arlington that we miss.
Our kitchen right after we moved in!
Our bookshelves right after we moved in!
Things look a little different now than they did in these pictures, but it’s fun to see how it looked right when we moved in!
Of course, having our friends Megan and JR over to help us empty out our liquor cabinet before moving was definitely a highlight too. 🙂
This of course brings me to…
10. Our housewarming party! Having so many of our best friends come over to help us celebrate our new apartment was such a blast!
This was definitely one of my happiest days of the year. 🙂
9. Spending a holiday weekend in NYC. Spending a weekend in early December with some of my best friends was such a blast! From walking around Central Park to grabbing a beer at Rolf’s to taking pictures with the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree, we had such a nice weekend together.
8. Aunt CC and Uncle Steve’s wedding in Otis, Mass. If you’ve been reading this blog for a while then you already know how much Fabio and I love going up to my Aunt CC and Uncle Steve’s lake house in the Berkshire mountains, and this summer we got to go up to celebrate their wedding!
The wedding itself was so sweet, and I loved having so much of my family in one place to celebrate this important milestone for CC and Steve. Like usual, we kept the party going late into the night and we all had such a blast! I’m so lucky to have such a wonderful family. 🙂
7. Visiting Catrina in San Diego. Another highlight from the year has got to be visiting Catrina in San Diego! (You can read part 1 of my adventures here, and part 2 here.) From visiting the zoo to day-drinking to taco Tuesday to CrossFit to runs on the beach to watching Food Network marathons on the couch, my time with Catrina in San Diego was an absolute blast!
6. Megan’s surprise bridal BBQ and bachelorette weekend. Ah, of course I couldn’t leave these out! The events leading up to Megan’s wedding were so much fun, and I felt so incredibly fortunate to see all of my best friends from college so many times this year. These pictures bring the biggest smile to my face!
I <3 these ladies.
5. Going to Jamaica for Alex and Diane’s wedding. Not only did Alex and Diane have an amazingly beautiful wedding in Jamaica, but getting to spend so many days in the sunshine with their family and friends was such a blast. Before this, I never really understood why people had destination weddings – personally I wouldn’t want to have a wedding somewhere too far away for some guests to come – but after going to their wedding I totally get it. We got to spend five days getting to know Alex’s family and Diane and Alex’s friends, so by the time the wedding rolled around I felt like we were one big happy family. I had so much fun, and am still so thankful to Diane for inviting me to stand by her side on her special day.
4. To continue on the wedding theme, next we have Megan and JR’s wedding! Megan is the first of my very best friends to get married, and having so many of my favorite people all in one place had me smiling from ear to ear the whole day. Megan’s wedding was so much fun, and I remember feeling so sad when it was over. Once again, I have to thank the beautiful bride for allowing me to stand with her on her special day!
3. Visiting friends in Amsterdam and Paris. I have to say our trip to Europe was probably the biggest highlight of my year. I consider myself incredibly lucky to have been able to travel to these amazing cities to visit our friends!
A big thank you to Jess, Erick, and Bryan for having us!
2. Exploring Belgium (Ghent, Brugge, & Brussels). While of course Fabio and I had fun checking out Amsterdam and Paris with friends who live there, we had a lot of fun exploring European cities on our own, too! Neither of us really had any expectations for Belgium, so we were floored when we realized how awesome it was. I’m pretty sure I ate a waffle every day we were there, and considering all the beer we drank in Belgium I’m surprised I didn’t come home 10 pounds heavier. We had such an amazing time in this country, and I would recommend it to anyone who’s planning a Eurotrip!
And the number one highlight goes to…
1. Drinking champagne in Reims! Fabio and I both agree that spending a day drinking champagne in Reims, the capital of the champagne region in France, was one of our favorite moments of the year. We just had such a nice day and wound up having the perfect amount of sweet bubbly, and then explored the town of Reims and its amazing cathedral afterword. It was just such an amazing day!
Alright, since you made it all the way down to the bottom of this post, how about just one more highlight from the year?
That’s right – on Christmas Day in front of our entire family, Fabio asked me to marry him. Of course I said yes!!
I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with the person who makes me the happiest. Here’s to a fun 2016 with lots of wedding festivities to come!
Wow, what a year, huh?
Question of the day: Tell me your favorite memory from the year.