Hi friends! I’m definitely in the holiday mindset today and am having trouble focusing on much of anything right now – much less a cohesive, well-planned blog post – so let’s just get random today, shall we? Here are some of the things on my mind!
1. Yesterday I went to another amazing spin class at FlyWheel. I know I’ve said it before, but I really love going to these classes at 6:00 am. They wake me up and energize me for the day!
Yesterday’s class was taught by Stephen, my favorite barre instructor, who recently starting teaching wheel classes too. His class was awesome, and I’m happy to report I was in second and third place on the fly board during most of the class. Woohoo! I always feel so accomplished when that happens – probably because it usually doesn’t. 😉
At the end of Stephen’s class, he played this song from the Prince of Egypt, since it’s a good movie for both Christian and Jewish folks with the holidays approaching. Was anyone else obsessed with that movie as a kid?
I can distinctly remember going to Blockbuster and always wanting to rent that movie, even though I had seen it a million times. I’m not sure why my mom didn’t just buy it for me; we had just about every other Disney movie there was and I watched them on repeat for pretty much my whole childhood. Can you tell I was an only child and got bored a lot? 😉
Other childhood favorites (other than obvious ones like the Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and Lion King) were Homeward Bound and Anastasia.
I can still quote (and sing!) almost every line from Anastasia.
That and Titanic. Seriously, I know every word to Titanic. It’s sad.
2. Something is going on with the people who live above us, because for the entire weekend they were stomping around. We can’t tell if they had family over for the holidays, were babysitting, recently got crutches or what, but it was incredibly annoying all weekend. Fabio and I aren’t ones to complain – we’ve been responsible for our share of noisiness as well – but then yesterday when we got home from work things changed.
When we got close to our front door, we noticed there was broken glass all over our doormat and by our front door. When we opened the door, we saw that the light fixture above our entryway had fallen down and shattered into a million glass pieces because of all the stomping upstairs. UGH. This was the last straw for me, and I sent Fabio upstairs to see what the deal was. While I swept and vacuumed up the mess, he knocked on the door of the folks upstairs, who didn’t answer, despite him hearing someone walking around. Grrr.
I think we’re going to try knocking on their door one more time tonight, and then will probably need to file a complaint when we tell our maintenance folks about the broken light fixture. How annoying!
3. Last night (after cleaning up the mess from the broken light) Fabio and I headed out to City Tap House in Chinatown for our friend Chris’ birthday dinner. I’d say there were about 15 of us there in total, and it was really nice to catch up with everyone before the holidays.
For my meal, I ordered the fish tacos made with skate.
You may remember I really wanted to try shark tacos when I was in San Diego, and although skate is not the same as shark, I was still excited to try it. It was delicious! I would definitely get it again. What a fun dinner!
3. Last night Fabio and I opened a Christmas gift early. We were going to wait until Christmas, but we just couldn’t! The gift was from Aunt CC and Uncle Steve, and Fabio and I agreed that they always give the best presents. He got a gift certificate to a golf store (which he was SO excited about) and I got a gift certificate for two months of ClassPass!! I also got some other goodies like a S’well bottle, two headbands, and some Kate Spade earrings.
We are definitely spoiled. Thank you, CC and Steve!!
5. I’m getting a manicure and pedicure later this week, and I’m trying to decide what color to get on my nails. Last year during the holidays I got a sparkly gold color because I thought it would be versatile from Christmas to Jamaica to New Years. Now I’m trying to decide if I should get that again or go with something more traditional like red. What do you guys think?
I also haven’t gotten my nails done near our new apartment yet (there’s a place near my office I’ve been going instead) so if you have any recommendations for a nail salon in DC I’d love to hear them!
P.S. I just looked back at my post from this time last year to find the picture of the gold nail polish, and I saw that it was another post called “Tuesday Things” posted on Dec. 23. It also looks almost identical to this post. I guess I’m a creature of habit?
6. I also saw in that old post that I talked about Serial, which reminds me that I haven’t talked about it yet this season. So, for those who are listening, what do you think? Personally I am having a hard time getting into this new season, and I keep zoning out during the episodes. It’s still early though, and I’m sure I’ll keep listening. I also like that the topic coincides with current events. What do you guys think?
7. This week is going to be super busy for me; today is my last day at work and then Fabio’s dad comes into town early tomorrow morning. He will be staying with us for a couple of days, and Fabio’s family will be joining mine for Christmas festivities this year, which I’m really excited about. 🙂 It does, however, mean LOTS of traveling from one place to another, so we’re going to be driving around a lot on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We’re also going to Atlantic City with some friends for New Years Eve right when we get back from Jamaica, so we have to really plan out how we’re going to pack everything. Phew! There’s so much to do!
Alright friends, that’s all I have for today. I’ll pop in on Christmas Day with a nice holiday picture of Jack, but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to check in again this week. We shall see!
Questions of the day: What were your favorite childhood movies? Have you ever had to deal with annoying neighbors?