Hello everyone! Happy Wednesday and more importantly, Happy Fourth of July! I hope you are all enjoying your day off (hopefully you’re not working) and can take advantage of this special holiday. The Fourth of July is always one of my favorite holidays and I hope you get to do something fun!
I am currently writing this post from the comfort of my dad’s air conditioning (I still don’t have power) and am planning to spend the day at my grandparent’s house on the boat. There is also a Fourth of July parade in their neighborhood where all the kids ride in decorated golf carts and bikes up and down the street. My little sister will be riding her bike, whereas I plan to take Jack’s collar hostage and tie some nice red, white, and blue ribbons around his neck. Fabio of course does not approve of this plan and is insisting he can only wear an American flag bandana in the parade. We will see how it goes! Obviously I will document it with plenty of pictures!
Anyway, it’s time for everyone’s favorite Wednesday tradition, What I Ate Wednesday! A big thank you goes to Jenn for hosting the link up like usual. This week’s eats feature everything that I ate yesterday. Because I don’t have power, my food selections were a bit different than usual. It wasn’t an ideal day of eating, but it was the best I could do in a pinch!
1. For breakfast, I had one of my light peanut butter banana muffins. They have really come in handy this week since my milk and fruit all went bad from the power outage. Thank goodness for easy, grab and go breakfasts!
2. For lunch I headed over to Pret A Manget near my office for a spicy shrimp and cilantro salad wrap. It was so flavorful and delicious and I tend to get this meal a lot when I don’t have a packed lunch. It’s only 290 calories which is pretty good considering I can just pick it up, take it back to my desk, and it’s technically “fast food.” It’s one of my favorites! I also had a side of fresh fruit.
3. Number three is actually what I ate for dinner since I messed up the numbering on the picture above (woops!). But dinner last night was some beef stroganoff that my stepmom made with a side salad and small piece of French bread. It was really tasty, but not one of the healthiest meals I’ve ever eaten. I’m not sure what my stepmom puts in it, but I know there is some cream of mushroom soup in there. While that is not so good for my waist-line, at least I was able to balance out the creamy pasta with a side salad and kept my portions small.
4. Number four is a snack that I ate at work- a small handful of raw almonds. Thank goodness these don’t need electricity to stay fresh. I would die without my almonds (yes, ok, I’m obsessed…)
5. After dinner I had a few fresh blackberries for a pop of sweetness. They are so good right now!!
So anyway, that’s what I had to eat yesterday. Not too bad considering all of my food got thrown away and I had to basically eat out for all of my meals. I definitely needed a lot more vegetables in my meals yesterday, but I had to work with what I had! Beggars can’t be choosers, right??
So tell me, how do you handle eating healthy when you’re in a bind? Luckily I have a ton of healthy restaurants near my work (Chopt, Salad Greens, and Pret A Manger, to name a few) but I bet it’s really difficult to make healthy choices when the restaurant selection is slim. Please share your tips with me!